Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Winter Project #1 Done.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Winter Project #1 Done.

I just got back from a test drive, so I thought I would share. The first of several winter projects on the Beast is done. The car really rips, especially above 6000rpm. Now back to Turbo Tech for some dyno tuning.

Details:
-New Ported Victor Junior
-New 42lb Lucas Injectors
-New Intake Elbow (http://www.intakeelbows.com/)
-Larger bellows and air tube
-Turned on the progressive 200hp N2O shot

Old 01-05-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you suppose you'll gain with these new mods? That car is quickly becoming a "Beast", and that is very good.
Robert
Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks!
Well, I spoke a great deal with Cartek and thery said that the heads could actually with with a little more cam and intake. When I pulled the old intake off, I noticed that while it was ported, it wasnt match ported... the heads intake ports are much wider at the top than the bottom and the injector reliefs are much larger. So, I spent several hours matching this Victor Jr. So far the seat of the pant dyno feels a difference from 6000rpm on. It runs to over 7000 no prob now. Noticeably quicker revving than my FAST intake. With the FAST, it got to 5500 quick, and then you could feel the revs slow a bit.

At the dyno day at TT, I was at 91% and then 93% duty on my SVO 30#, so the new 42lb'ers are just insurance really.

Lastly, I feel safer spraying a wet shot through an aluminum elbow and aluminum intake versus a plastic/composite intake. Turns out the bottom end (unbeknownst to be) is a full Lunati Stoker kit with Pro-Billet rods and Wiseco pistons (I located the original owner who had the engine built), so I will be spraying a few stages on it for sure.

I bought the less restrictive elbow from Aaron and trimmed out the hood so it should be good.

Total gain, I dont know. At Cartek it did 493whp. At TT it did 473whp. I am hoping for over 490-500 NA at TurboTech and then I will spray a 200 or 250 from there.

Besides.. it looks cooler.

Thanks guys.

-J

Originally Posted by Robert56
What do you suppose you'll gain with these new mods? That car is quickly becoming a "Beast", and that is very good.
Robert

Last edited by Goldfinger911; 01-06-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:42 AM
TECH Junkie

mama mia! you got once nice set up!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

I really like that setup! Maybe I will try that someday......soon. How did the cross-over line on the back fuel rails fit with the firewall? What TB are you using?

Oh, and the experts say running your inj duty cycle over 80% 'should be' avoided. True most will still work up to 100%, some even past that. But they do start to heat up the fuel & become unstable when you push them that hard, so the 42s are a good idea.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

The crossover line is the same one I used with my FAST intake. It is a -8 line with 90's. It clears the firewall just fine. A slight curve in it and it works perfect. I didnt even have to loosen it when I removed the rails.

Also back there, I have drilled and tapped two 1/8" NPT ports in the back of the elbow, and put some 90's in it for the MAP sensor and the vaccum line for the climate control motors.

I am using a TPIS throttle body. Works very well. One thing I had to do was to fab a bracket for the throttle cable mount. On the LS1's, if you have the throttle cable mounting point low, so the cable is horizontal or even lower than the top of the throttle cable cam, you will not be able to get a true 100% WOT. So, I had to mount the cable such that the cable slopes down to the cam and now I get full closed and a full 100% WOT. It looks okay I guess. Not too ghetto. (I attached a pic of the angle of the cable.)

Yeah, high duty cycles on top feed injectors isnt the best idea. (Side feed injectors are a different story.) The car runs really smooth with these 42's. I was surprised. I just recalc'ed by IFR table, then bumped the whole VE map by 2% and I am almost spot on with my mixture. (I am assuming the need to increase in VE map is due to the Victor Jr.)

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I really like that setup! Maybe I will try that someday......soon. How did the cross-over line on the back fuel rails fit with the firewall? What TB are you using?

Oh, and the experts say running your inj duty cycle over 80% 'should be' avoided. True most will still work up to 100%, some even past that. But they do start to heat up the fuel & become unstable when you push them that hard, so the 42s are a good idea.

Last edited by Goldfinger911; 01-06-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
Thanks!
Well, I spoke a great deal with Cartek and thery said that the heads could actually with with a little more cam and intake. When I pulled the old intake off, I noticed that while it was ported, it wasnt match ported... the heads intake ports are much wider at the top than the bottom and the injector reliefs are much larger. So, I spent several hours matching this Victor Jr. So far the seat of the pant dyno feels a difference from 6000rpm on. It runs to over 7000 no prob now. Noticeably quicker revving than my FAST intake. With the FAST, it got to 5500 quick, and then you could feel the revs slow a bit.

At the dyno day at TT, I was at 91% and then 93% duty on my SVO 30#, so the new 42lb'ers are just insurance really.

Lastly, I feel safer spraying a wet shot through an aluminum elbow and aluminum intake versus a plastic/composite intake. Turns out the bottom end (unbeknownst to be) is a full Lunati Stoker kit with Pro-Billet rods and Wiseco pistons (I located the original owner who had the engine built), so I will be spraying a few stages on it for sure.

I bought the less restrictive elbow from Aaron and trimmed out the hood so it should be good.

Total gain, I dont know. At Cartek it did 493whp. At TT it did 473whp. I am hoping for over 490-500 NA at TurboTech and then I will spray a 200 or 250 from there.

Besides.. it looks cooler.

Thanks guys.

-J
yea I have been thinking aluminum manifold for the same reasons. Though that new intake, (can't remember the manufacture') from SEMA should be good. That is my goal also, 500rwhp, but need to upgrade the intake and heads first. I think you'll hit 500rwhp pretty easy.
Robert
Old 01-06-2008, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the pic. I was wondering how poeple did the throttle cable bracket.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice lookin' setup for sure. Should be a monster on the top end now with that single plane. Nice work!

Mike
Old 01-06-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet lord that thing is a beast!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
yea I have been thinking aluminum manifold for the same reasons. Though that new intake, (can't remember the manufacture') from SEMA should be good. That is my goal also, 500rwhp, but need to upgrade the intake and heads first. I think you'll hit 500rwhp pretty easy.
Robert
That would be Weiand. I think thats how it is spelt. lol

Quick Reply: Winter Project #1 Done.