Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Y Pipe" - a flawed design?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The "Y Pipe" - a flawed design?

From what I have read, most y pipes merge into a single 2.75" diameter... and please correct me if I'm wrong, but cramming +500hp through this diameter isn't efficient by any means...

So, my question is this - do I have a custom fabricated y pipe merge of at least 4", then attach a mufflex type 4" catback for optimum flow?

I mean, from what I have seen the vettes don't have this issue of merging the exhaust...

And I can't believe that the F-body has been out for over 15 years and no one manufacturers a bolt-on stainless "true dual" setup... which is horse **** IMHO... and it makes me want to buy a vette or a 1st gen Camaro... ha.

Thank you and drive through.

Last edited by ATLSS; 01-08-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a Y pipe can flow VERY well with the use of a good merge and proper sized pipes. Patrick G did a write up on how to make 500hp and used a Y pipe

and Bassani makes a true dual set-up thats stainless also and LPP is making a stainless TD system like TSP's
Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to see TD Over the Axle. That would be expensive i bet!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

I put a cutout behind both header collectors. No worrying about fitment, ride height, extra weight for "true" duals, flow of a single 3" pipe, or fitting a monster 4" pipe (which I have done in the past). Add electric cutouts and your set. Seemed like a pretty straight forward solution to me, I'm surprised you don't hear about it more.

Larry
Old 01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tainted
a Y pipe can flow VERY well with the use of a good merge and proper sized pipes. Patrick G did a write up on how to make 500hp and used a Y pipe

and Bassani makes a true dual set-up thats stainless also and LPP is making a stainless TD system like TSP's

Yeah, and the guy had to hack on it and modify it to have a 4" merge IIRC...

Why doesn't someone make a bolt on exhaust for us?

When I say true dual, I'm not talking about dumped under the car...
Old 01-05-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
I put a cutout behind both header collectors. No worrying about fitment, ride height, extra weight for "true" duals, flow of a single 3" pipe, or fitting a monster 4" pipe (which I have done in the past). Add electric cutouts and your set. Seemed like a pretty straight forward solution to me, I'm surprised you don't hear about it more.

Larry

I'm sorry, I don't care to run my car "uncapped"... it's a street car, not some '70 model rusted Mopar with 22" slicks and a "cage"...
Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ATLSS
Yeah, and the guy had to hack on it and modify it to have a 4" merge IIRC...

Why doesn't someone make a bolt on exhaust for us?

When I say true dual, I'm not talking about dumped under the car...
Bassani does and I think I've seen TSP too.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
Bassani does and I think I've seen TSP too.
TSP is dumped under the car... which any yahoo at a muffler shop can do...
Old 01-05-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

like I said Bassani makes an over axle 2.5" true dual set-up but its designed for stock manifolds but tis easily modified to fit longtubes
Old 01-05-2008, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

dude, I don't know what you're thinking. TSP make some nice true duals though they are dumped. Bassani make a td system out the back....if you're saying all this and you have a 500+hp car, you should probably switch to duals instead of dealing with a y-pipe anyways...So fork out the money and do a custom setup.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

I'm sorry, I don't care to run my car "uncapped"... it's a street car, not some '70 model rusted Mopar with 22" slicks and a "cage"...
LOL, hence the electric cutouts. If there was a serious demand for a dual system it would be on the market. I had a nice 4" Mufflex with a dual 3" into 4" flowmaster merge collector from the Y. All it takes is time and fab work. I loved the sound of the 4" FLowmaster as well but the system was heavy as hell and a bitch to fit. Fitting a dual exhaust will be a pain in the *** to the fourth power.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94BlackSSClone
dude, I don't know what you're thinking. TSP make some nice true duals though they are dumped. Bassani make a td system out the back....if you're saying all this and you have a 500+hp car, you should probably switch to duals instead of dealing with a y-pipe anyways...So fork out the money and do a custom setup.
TSP is dumped, no thanks.

Bassani is the only other bolt-on option and it's made for the stock manifolds/cats...

So, there is NO company that MAKES a stainless header-back dual exhaust that exits at the rear bumper??
Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

only custom made ones
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only custom made ones
Correct.

This is the only guy I found on this forum that had a custom setup made by ARH - http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=26797

My question still stands though - why doesn't anyone make a true dual exhaust that connects to headers and exits at the bumper??
Old 01-05-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

because

EVERY car is different. it would take so much time and money to fab up a system that would fit but would still require so much adjusting it wouldnt be worth it. these cars werent made to have TD's
Old 01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

these cars werent made to have TD's
i.e., a flawed design.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

A true dual exhaust won't make any more power than a good single intermediate pipe setup. There isn't much room for dual 3" over axle setup and a single 4" will make plenty of power. No company is going to make a 3" dual over axle setup because they can't gaurantee it will fit and it's really overkill unless you have a 800+ hp race car. How much power are you expecting? A 2-1/2" dual exhaust like the Bassani will make quite a bit of power to begin with. You could easily get a shop to adapt it to headers. I agree that the "dual exhaust" being sold with dumps is not even worth considering unless you like to sound like an old pickup truck with rotted out mufflers.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

we all know it's a flawed design, we all wish gm had made them a td car. Why didn't they? I dont know, but they should have. We all think they should have since the day they were released most likely. So the "flawed design" is something every car will have. Not many cars are ABSOLUTLY perfect. Every car has something that could be a little better. Hence, the world of aftermarket parts and custom fab work
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i.e., a flawed design.
why is that a flaw? i think cost efficient is the correct term. if you can make the power with one pipe, then why 2? i bought a true dual setup and eventually reverted back to the y-setup. for me, the benefits don't outweigh the cost
Old 01-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Restricted User

I believes Kooks makes a "big" Y pipe that goes along with their race headers....

Quick Reply: The "Y Pipe" - a flawed design?