Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay to Get LS6 Manifold at a Junkyard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Okay to Get LS6 Manifold at a Junkyard?

Just curious if they was anything wrong with this? I was thinking that it would be pretty cheap. It would be a little hard to find one in the first place, not a lot of totaled Z06's out there, but if I do, what would I be looking for in the way of model year, useability, etc... And, how difficult is it to do the EGR provision? I have a wide range of tools, including a drill press, and taps, everything I thing I would need.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Okay to Get LS6 Manifold at a Junkyard?

include 01-01 fbodys to your search they wont egr provisions either it would be alot easier to jsst forget about the egr.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah oust the EGR, and make sure the bottom of the intake manifold is flat--not curved and you are in good shape. Also, not sure if a C5 intake would have provision for you throttle cable. Oh and find a picture of the back of the manifold to make sure none of those little hookups have been snapped off.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good point. I hear not all of the 01's have the LS6 manifold, how do I tell the difference? Thanks

I would like to keep the EGR for emmision purposes
Old 07-02-2003, 03:14 AM
TECH Resident

F-bodies came with the "desired" manifold in the '01 model year. Do not go Vette manifold hunting...they don't have the fittings for the TB as they are all drive-by-wire. The manifolds will not have EGR provisions from the factory starting in 2001. There are NO Corvette manifolds with EGR provisions to my knowledge. Just be sure you know what you're buying and you could get a helluva score! Regardless of EGR/no EGR, the manifold you want will have a flat bottom.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

So do the LS6 manifolds for the Camaros have the EGR provision? Or do all LS6 manifolds not have the EGR provision?

Again, how do I tell the difference between an LS1 and LS6 manifold? What do you mean flat bottom, do you have any pics? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Most salvage yards won't want to take the manifold off. When they get an LS1/6 in they try to sell the whole engine. I've been trying for a while. Keep trying though, you might get lucky.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Rancho Cordova up here near Sacramento has miles and miles of junkyards and dismaltlers. Hopfully I can find someone with some manifolds sitting on a shelf
Old 07-03-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

If you turn over an LS6 manifold, the bottom is flat. LS1's are shaped like an arc toward the topside. I think JmX's website www.ls1howto.com has a pic of the underside of both. The manifolds for an F-body starting in 2001 will not have EGR provision at all. You'll have to swap/modify the existing front coolant vapor tube to get the manifold to work. Check out the website...everything's there.