Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some more cam questions...yes i searched

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Some more cam questions...yes i searched

Hey guys, gotta a few ?'s and i could really use some of your expertise here. I've been searching and reading threads about cams and well I'm just not an expert.

My mods:

2.73s...need 3.42s prolly
QTP headers
ORY magnaflow catback
3200 or 3600 yank or vig
BFG DR's
SFCs
LS6 intake
LS6 ported oil pump
hopefully springs and shocks

These are all gonna be on the car at the time the cam goes in. But the real question is what cam is gonna be for me. I don't daily drive it, but I take it out for fun and take it out on the weekends. It will only see the track a few times. So i would like one that is somewhat street friendly. Nice midrange and can get me to 400RWHP.

Now is the torquer v.3 for me? Or is it to radical for me? I do drive it quite a bit it's just not a DD. I don't want the car dieing on me and I dunno anything about this lope u guys are talking about. I see videos, but I know noone with an f-body around here, let alone one that's modded with a cam. I just dont want to go small and regret it.

If not the torquer v.3 should I just ask one of the sponsors to make a cam for me? The last thing I want to happen is install this cam and only get like 375RWHP out of it.

The guy told me he could put the pump in, valve terrain, stall, and cam in for 1400. What do you guys think of the price. Pretty reasonable or too reasonable. I'm beginning to think that was just for the cam but it could be right. I asked him twice.....

SORRY long post, thx so much in advance.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

would look into a custom cam like i got if you are looking at either the t2 or t3 cam...also 1400 is pretty high if it is just a cam install and converter install if it is just for labor...most shops around here charge 1700-1800 for cam install but that includes all parts, fluids gaskets, and the $450ish dyno tune...as for converter install i think those go for around 300-400....so if you are just looking at labor for a cam install it should be in the ball park of 500-600... and converter 300-400...so bottom line 800-1000 for both...

hope i am understanding you right...
Old 01-06-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea you got it right, i re-read his email and i acutally got the price wrong, it's 1300 and that includes the tune and fluids, not the parts...and wow those are some awesome numbers and some massive torque you got with that. I sure hope i can get those numbers

Last edited by allbaugh_04; 01-06-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
yea you got it right, i re-read his email and i acutally got the price wrong, it's 1300 and that includes the tune and fluids, not the parts...and wow those are some awesome numbers and some massive torque you got with that. I sure hope i can get those numbers
thanks my car has been a freak from day one...but the cam i got is really nice i was actually looking at the t2 and t3 too because my car is my dd and i didnt want my tq to suffer and it be unpleasant to drive on the street with 3.23 gears...so i talked to predator and he speced me out this cam and i liked it alot...he said it was better than the t2 and he was right...i have insane tq and hp...i have a dyno graph and idle video in this section...i am very happy with it...

230/230 .612(XFI) .590(XE-R) on 111+2 comp grind
Old 01-07-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd say the T3 is a bit radical....but the T2 would be a nice choice.

or a custom cam like that one above...
Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

I would do a custom reverse-split just by looking at the mods you have listed. Mainly because these cams have nasty low-midrange power with good top-end. A reverse-split would help make up for the lack of gear if you decide not to go with a 3:23 or 3:42. i recommend going to one of those gear ratios though if possible or if it is in your budget.

Remember, a dyno sheet DOES NOT always represent how well a car runs. The dyno is strictly a tuning tool. If your car made 375rwhp cam-only through an A4, those are great numbers.

I would give predator-z holler to see what he would recommend. He loves reverse-splits and I haven't seen him steer anyone wrong yet. Good Luck.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I'll have to see if I can find this guy and I'll probably upgrade the gears sooner or later. They aren't that expensive anyways, I just figured if it's running well with the 2.73s and a cam, why swap em out. I'm sure it'd help in the 1/4, by how much i have no clue, thx for the advice.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MS4! Im just bein stupid
Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I heard some good things about the MS4, but not for me

Originally Posted by KONG
I would do a custom reverse-split just by looking at the mods you have listed. Mainly because these cams have nasty low-midrange power with good top-end.
What exactly is a reverse-split, or should i just pm this guy?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A traditional split has more exhaust duration than intake. It is a good starting point for most people. A reverse split is just the opposite, it has more intake duration than exhaust. The best case for a reverse spilt is max power with stock heads, mildly modified intake (Ported TB & Lid) and a good flowing exhaust system.

If your plans don't include a Fast 90 & 90 mm TB or ported/aftermarket heads, a reverse split might be the hot ticket for you.

Of course that is a very short answer. There is tons more to be found in the Stickies at the top of the page. Look at the cam discussions under the Cam Guide sticky for more than enough reading to give you a headache.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hammertime
A traditional split has more exhaust duration than intake. It is a good starting point for most people. A reverse split is just the opposite, it has more intake duration than exhaust. The best case for a reverse spilt is max power with stock heads, mildly modified intake (Ported TB & Lid) and a good flowing exhaust system.

If your plans don't include a Fast 90 & 90 mm TB or ported/aftermarket heads, a reverse split might be the hot ticket for you.

Of course that is a very short answer. There is tons more to be found in the Stickies at the top of the page. Look at the cam discussions under the Cam Guide sticky for more than enough reading to give you a headache.
About a month ago I spent a day reading everything in those stickies. And ur right, and a lot of good it did me, cuz I don't remember much, I just know basic things I guess. Now I don't plan on putting in different heads, but u never know. I guess I'll ask predator-z what he thinks. Thx
Old 01-09-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

About a month ago I spent a day reading everything in those stickies. And ur right, and a lot of good it did me, cuz I don't remember much, I just know basic things I guess. Now I don't plan on putting in different heads, but u never know. I guess I'll ask predator-z what he thinks. Thx
i know what cam he will recommend...
Old 01-22-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who does predator_z work for....he has blocked his inbox till february...i really need to find a cam..i supposed i can wait...just curious who he worked for.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who does predator_z work for....he has blocked his inbox till february...i really need to find a cam..i supposed i can wait...just curious who he worked for.
He doesn't work for any sponsor in particular (that I know of) but I've seen him recommend Texas Speed to have custom cams ground in the past.

Predator is one of the most knowledgeable guys out there who offers up cam selection advice and specs for the members here. Patrick G still does from time to time, but the people here have bombarded him enough that he's began to charge a fee ($25, really fair price) for his time and effort. Patrick works with Thunder Racing to have custom cams ground that he specs.

With all the members on this site, it can take a lot of time to answer all the specific requests that they receive.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

get the torquer and have it ground on the lowest lsa and the most advance you can with out ptv issues
Old 01-23-2008, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

he will recommend my cam or something very close...i know because that is what he told me with about the same goals you have...
Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the 228r might be too small, but just curious on your guy's opinion. Seems like most put down 375 and only like 360 tq....some go higher but not very many.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I'd really look hard at that Torquer 3. It was designed to make more power & torque than the T2 while maintaining a almost identical rpm band. It's easy to make more power with a bigger / higher rpm cam, but for it's size it's pretty hard to beat!

Keep your eyes open, we've been working really hard to finalize the brand new Torquer 4 camshaft!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
I'd really look hard at that Torquer 3. It was designed to make more power & torque than the T2 while maintaining a almost identical rpm band. It's easy to make more power with a bigger / higher rpm cam, but for it's size it's pretty hard to beat!

Keep your eyes open, we've been working really hard to finalize the brand new Torquer 4 camshaft!
pmed u
Old 01-24-2008, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

touquer v4?

pm me info im geting ready to buy a t.2 but mabye ill wait