Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: best cam for the TRACK with stock heads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: best cam for the TRACK with stock heads?

Ill have to go with the hammer cam.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Poll: best cam for the TRACK with stock heads?

224/224 .563 or .581 112

for a A4
224/224 .563 or .581 114

hehehe.. but im partial to the 224/224 cams
Old 07-02-2003, 09:11 AM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Iv'e seen some impressive numbers from the Thunder Racing 230 RSP cam.

Joe.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Teching In

if everyone could post the average 1/4 times for each cam, this would make everything so much easier.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Too many variables; cam is just part of the equation. If you think about it, it's a pretty small part, too...

Let's see... a few things that could make a tenth or two difference:

1. FTRA/SSRA/etc...
2. lid (some have seen a tenth or so by going to the TSP lid, for instance)
3. P&P TB
4. LS1 vs. LS6 intake
5. 1.7 vs. 1.8 rockers
6. Headers (some have seen little to no gain with SLPs, for example)
7. Exhaust setup after headers (i.e., 3" cat back vs. cutout vs. true duals)
8. M6 or A4
9. If M6, which clutch
10. If M6, aluminum or steel flywheel
11. If A4, which converter
12. Steel vs. aluminum vs. CF driveshaft
13. 10 bolt vs. 12 bolt vs. 9" vs. 8.8"
14. Gears
15. Tires
16. Vehicle weight
17. Tuning
18. DRIVER
19. Track prep
20. Weather conditions

You see what I am getting at... there is a tenth or two to be lost or gained with each of the variables I just listed; and there are more that I'm sure I'm forgetting. Because there are SO many different things that influence ET, having a comparison like this is pretty much pointless, IMO.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Teching In

*THE FOLLOWING IS RATED "R" FOR RETARDED*
Too many variables; cam is just part of the equation. If you think about it, it's a pretty small part, too...

Let's see... a few things that could make a tenth or two difference:

You see what I am getting at... there is a tenth or two to be lost or gained with each of the variables I just listed; and there are more that I'm sure I'm forgetting. Because there are SO many different things that influence ET, having a comparison like this is pretty much pointless, IMO.
*Back to reality*
I have no idea of what your trying to get at, or why you wasted all of that room. Its the other way around, your little lesson is COMPLETELY pointless , Im talking about a couple seconds when your talking about tenths of a second, this is a no brainer question to see which cam has the lowest times, its funny how you think a cam is such a small part, hell just look around the forums and you'll see that the fastest cars have cams, and some ppl with 10&11 sec cars list 2 or 3 mods, and what do you think is one of them... a CAM. Since these "variables" of yours are just so important then why are 90% of the cars w/ the same cam and setup running tenths of a second time difference?

For everyone else that reads this idiots little preach he tried giving us, notice how he says headers make little or no gain. (How the hell can they make no gain??)
9. If M6, which clutch
That last quote fell 9 yards away from making any sense. Correct me if im wrong but you should see a big time difference in tires, and your going to see more than 1 or 2 tenths of a sec gain with the right gears and tuning. Next time your going to try to make your own bible, lay off the crack.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually burnout was right...

you can figure only 3-4tenths difference from any cam giving all the varibles are the same. Most cam cars run 11.3-11.7 and most bolt on fast cars run 11.6-12.2

but he's right cause tenths only seperate these cars here A ported TB or a intake could add 2 tenths to a guys ET which makes one hellova difference in the ET list. Times are tight and every tenth counts here. Thats why guys go to such extremes to gain tenths or even hundreths.

Im backing burnout's reply 100% cause he's dead on what he's taking about. Only thing I can comment on is the headers which add 2-4tenths on most cars. But you not gonna see a hung gain from headers unless you have cam/heads. Putting headers on a stock internal car wont shot the gains. Its common sense.. the more mods you do, the more everything helps and works together in your car!

oh and the only reason i have swapped my gears to 3.73's is cause I doubt I would see more than a tenth gain so its not worth the swap. Hell, I would be happy with a tenth from 3.73's, but i wouldnt expect anything more. So he was right again

just cause add's and salesman throw crap like you will see 4-6tenth gains in there adds doesnt mean its true Usually you subtract 2-3tenths from what they think it will do
Old 07-02-2003, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

02TranzAmWS6....you are a complete moron and an *** for going off on someone when they are completely right. There is no cam that is going to put you ahead of everyone else if the rest of your **** isn't in order. I would take a stock internal car that is set up right as far as the above mentioned variables then a stock car with a cam. But, for absolute best track cam, right now I think the G5X2 holds that honor for a 346.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Restricted User

02TranzAmWS6---go back over to ls1.com, look at the internal arena and there was a sticky with cam readouts as you are requesting. I had asked the Moderators o do one here, but I guess we are more prone to telling people to use the search button.

The thread is a results if you will. e.g. list all mods, and any track/dyno # with cam profile.

Good-luck.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

*THE FOLLOWING IS RATED "R" FOR RETARDED*
Old 07-02-2003, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Clarification on point number 6: I mention SLP's specifically, because I have read numerous posts regarding the lack of a significant performance increase with these headers. Some folks have had good luck with them and like them, many others do not.

TranzAm- the point that I was making is that you may have one guy in an A4 car weighing 3700 pounds and running a stock converter with a 224/224 cam that runs 2/10 slower than a car on a stock cam with a loose converter and a 3400 pound raceweight. Does that mean that the stock cam is better for performance?? No... it means that the package is a more effective setup.

Since so many of us have our cars set up so differently (outside of the cam; whether it be bolt ons like headers, etc..., or suspension setup, or...), comparing timeslips and saying that it is a cam comparison is pretty much pointless.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez guys try to be civil.

The most impressive cam I have seen on stock heads is the G5x2, for an all out radical cam that is lumpy. But IMHO I would stay with something along the lines of MTI B1/T1 or TR 224. These cams are more streetable and a little easier on the valvetrain. Quite a few people have gone 117-118 MPH on stock heads with these cams without much weight reduction.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Restricted User

Yep, ditto what BurnOut says. . . . .

Bet $$$$ any of you guys come down here and run on our track and you will go at least 2/10ths slower. Our track sux!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol...omg...8 posts and he already knows everything. anyways though...i like my T1 cam but i'm gonna be going to G2X5 after i throw on some new heads. good luck on your quest kid.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh and next time you come on this board and start bashing people for trying to help you out dont expect any replies.

What burnout was trying to say is there is a HELL of a lot more to it than sliding in a cam and going 11s. Clutches slip, rear-ends break, auto trannies give up, and street tires become useless. I understand that you were looking for an *all else equal* comparison but I think he was trying to help you out.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Clarification on point number 6: I mention SLP's specifically, because I have read numerous posts regarding the lack of a significant performance increase with these headers. Some folks have had good luck with them and like them, many others do not.

hey now, i have SLP's HAHAHAH

But ive heard the same stuff also. But man i may need to swap mine off cause I could be 2tenths quicker with another brand LMAO

to me a LT header is a LT header
Old 07-02-2003, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

u'd be surprised.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried everything but a cam, trying to do the mod thing right SLP headers,LS6 Intake,Lid,SLP MAF,N.O.S.,Poted throttle body,centerforce clutch that was the death of MR 10 bolt consistenly killing rear end but i dont learn going to buy a B1 off of 99 Ragtop and still looking for best heads for that combo,took the rear end killer off the road so what if i cant burnout with my bicycle by the way I ran a 12.89 with bad clutch "best friends third gear launch"still i think starting with bolt ons first is the thing to do
Old 07-02-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 02TranzAmWS6
lay off the crack.
May wanna take a little of your own advice ... cause you come off sounding like a jagoff punk who thinks he knows everything... but obviously doesn't...
Old 07-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Launching!

"Ill never forget the look on their faces when they saw a 15 yr old put their car to shame, gotta luv it." <- per his profile

Case closed.