Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When should it be retired??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When should it be retired??

I have been thinking about building a ls engine. My first choice is to build a ls2 or l92 based stroker but that may not be in the cards for me. As a last resort I would use my current engine as the base for a small build up. As it stands it has 126000 miles on it. It does not use oil between changes and I try to get them done on a timely basis. Is this too high of a mileage to consider it a good starting point for a head and cam build? Or should I start out with a new rotating assembly and go from there?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

as long as the block and sleeves are in good shape it's a good block to build with. As with any used engine if you're going to build it you should have it professionally magnufluxed and blueprinted as well as cleaned up and honed. Even if it did eat oil it doesn't necessarily mean you can't use the block. It could be seeping through the valve seals or even if it went by the rings, if the sleeve isn't gouged or the block distorted a honing job and new rings will solve the problem.

I've been looking also at building an engine and even though rebuilding my stock ls1 would be a little bit cheaper, I still believe building an aftermarket block would be better. Block prices are coming down, L92 heads are cheap now and make good power, and most of the parts you will reuse from your motor can be used with the new motor (coils, headers, acc, etc.) Especially if you get the LSX block you can reuse anything from your LS1, even though it wouldn't be the best build using stock LS1 heads with a 402ci lol. But while building you can still drive the car, then once the new engine is in you can sell the stocker or keep it incase the new motor blows for some reason. And in my grand scheme I want to transplant the stocker into an old chevy and build a new motor for my camaro. My LS1 makes good power and in an old camaro it would be plenty of power for my needs with it, plus the reliablity of it and decent gas mileage. Of course I would probably freshen it up with a good hone and new rings for added insurance.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm one of the lucky guys whose LS1 has never used a drop of oil since day one.

My change intervals are frequent and I use a full synthetic (moble1) but a cheapie filter (fram). I swapped heads and cam at 40K and the unit is very strong at 60K.

If your short block is in good condition, I would not hesitate to use it for a head and cam swap. The number of miles on an engine is not the critical factor. It is whether the bores, rings, and bearings are within spec. that counts.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

126k wouldn't bother me on a build up. just do heads cam, change the lifters while in there, i would also do a ported LS6 pump to be safe. a LS2 timing chain would do the trick, but i like the double rollers. make sure you have a LS6 intake and bolt ons, or your wasting time. ohh and a stall would be nice as well.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Like I said this would be only if it was a last resort. I would rather build up a engine seperatly and then install it later. I still drive this car on a regular basis. I will most likely have a budget of $7000 or so.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

126,000 miles on a shortblock isn't too awful much. honestly, i'd run a compression & leakdown test then pull the engine if everything checks out. obviously you'll see the cylinder walls when you pull the heads, and you can remove a bearing cap to check the rod bearings...assuming you're going to swap rod bolts. if both look fine, do the work and never look back. i've personally seen many 135k+ mile motors, the bearings and cylinder walls both looked EXCELLENT - regardless of abuse. top ends will always wear out faster than bottoms.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Last night I dyno-ed it in class. 291hp 309tq with just a lid. I found that encouraging.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Why replace a shortblock that is perfectly good? ...don't fix what ain't broken... you may end up with a shortblock that burns oil or worse.

I ripped my heads off at 40K and the factory hatch marks were still in the bores. ...I just replaced the oil pump, timing chain, heads, lifters, springs, push-rods and I'm good to go...

no issues at 60K...
Old 01-08-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't want the car down for a long time. And why not add cubes if possible. Thats why I'm thinking about a build up.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

can your bore and stroke an ls1?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

I would just do heads and cam, I think you will be fine, engine sounds in good condition. And even If you hurt something in the bottom end later, you can still use your heads on a new shortblock.