Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to plumb a mechanical oil press gauge???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to plumb a mechanical oil press gauge???

Hey guys, I am wondering if there is a place on an LS1 block that will let me place an 1/8" pipe fitting for a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I took off the original oil pressure switch and it's got some sort of metric bolt threaded weird fitting......what I am looking for is a "T" that I can screw into the block at the original oil press switch location and then screw the oil press switch into it and then tie my 1/8" pipe fitting into the "T".

Does anyone know where I might find such an animal?

Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated,

Joe
Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many will use the bypass plate above the oil filter (if it is not currently being used).

You didn't state what car your working on. If you are not using the stock oil Gauge.. you can get a 12mm to NPT adapter. Depending on car and year.. the PCM may not require a input from the oil sender.

The Oil sender is 12mm so.. you would have to find some 12mm fittings.. if you want to T it with the original sender and the aftermarket gauge.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
Many will use the bypass plate above the oil filter (if it is not currently being used).

You didn't state what car your working on. If you are not using the stock oil Gauge.. you can get a 12mm to NPT adapter. Depending on car and year.. the PCM may not require a input from the oil sender.

The Oil sender is 12mm so.. you would have to find some 12mm fittings.. if you want to T it with the original sender and the aftermarket gauge.
Yeah, sorry about that, I was in a hurry when I posted.

The 99 model LS1 is what I put in a 69 Camaro. It will not be using the factory dash out of the 99 Camaro, so I think I could take off the sender all together????

What about this fitting by the oil filter? Is it a pipe fitting? I would really like to use it so I don't have to fiddle around with an adapter.

I'll take a look at it when I get home.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 01-08-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I also have a 99 F-Body LS1 in my 71 Chevelle.. what I did was drilled and tapped the bypass plate for a aftermarket gauge.

Since I am not using the LS1 sender, I took the sender, broke off the top plastic part, and with the bottom Alum. piece, I drilled and tapped it for 1/8" NPT to make a adapter, which is the size of the Chevelle sender for the Idiot light. I then just took my homemade adapter and screw it in and then put the Chevelle sender into the adapter and now have both a Idiot Light in the factor Chevelle dash and also my aftermarket Gauge.

You can see you have a few choice of what to run and where to tap into.

Good luck with your project..keep us posted and put up some pictures..
Old 01-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
I also have a 99 F-Body LS1 in my 71 Chevelle.. what I did was drilled and tapped the bypass plate for a aftermarket gauge.

Since I am not using the LS1 sender, I took the sender, broke off the top plastic part, and with the bottom Alum. piece, I drilled and tapped it for 1/8" NPT to make a adapter, which is the size of the Chevelle sender for the Idiot light. I then just took my homemade adapter and screw it in and then put the Chevelle sender into the adapter and now have both a Idiot Light in the factor Chevelle dash and also my aftermarket Gauge.

You can see you have a few choice of what to run and where to tap into.

Good luck with your project..keep us posted and put up some pictures..

WOW! That is awesome! I did this last night. After I searche3d the forums I could not find anything telling me that the oil pressure sender tells the computer anything so I went to my trusty wiring schematic and traced the brown wire from the sender and found out that it bypasses the computer all together and goes right to the dash and into the gauge.

I tore the sender apart and tapped an 1/8" pipe thread in it and simply screwed the fitting into it and I was done......it took all of about 5 minutes to do.

I was going to take pictures last night of my new adapter, but I couldent find my camera. I found it in my truck this morning and when I get home I will take pics and post them here.

Thanks again for the help......it's much appreciated!

Joe
Old 01-09-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Joe

Glad your moving along now.. keep us post on the project and just ask if you have any questions.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

BC, thanks man, I appreciate it.I have come so far on this project in so little time it's really unbelievable. I'll try and post up some progress pictures here on LS1T. I've posted most of my stuff over on LS1-LT1.com and Camaros.net. I have so much it would take a long time to get it all in one shot here.

Here is a pic of the oil sensor mod.

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_2779.jpg

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_2778.jpg

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Glad that the simple home made and low cost adapter worked out for you. If you need any other suggestions.. just ask away..!