Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Which PAC-SWI Adaptor for Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Which PAC-SWI Adaptor for Steering Wheel Controls

Which PAC-SWI Adapter do I need for an Alpine CDA-9885?

PAC-SWI-X
or
PAC-SWI-JACK

And where do I get one or who has the best prices?
Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use the SWI-X, as it is "universal".. it turns the steering wheel controls into IR signals, just like the Alpine's remote puts out. Something cool about that is you could assign any button to do anything you want... preset up/down could be the track seek buttons, for example. I'm going to be programming mine with the up/down, left right setup to emulate the 4 iPod buttons, so I can run all the ipod functions right from the wheel.

The downside is, you have to stick the IR transmitter somewhere in sight of the HU, but it's really small. Upside is, it's universal, and will work with almost any brand of HU

You can also use the SWI-JACK, it will plug right into the back of the Alpine head unit, but it's only for certain brands of HU's and not quite as universal. I don't have any personal experience with the SWI-JACK, but either one will work. My car just happens to have the SWI-X in it, so I'm using it.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Eskimo, what head unit do you have?

According to Crutchfield the JACK is for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood. Hence the letters.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, but it only works with models from those companies that have wired remote capability. IOW, you have to have a port on the back of the head unit that says "remote".
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes. You are going to have to see if your headunit has a plug for the SWI-JACK. I use the SWI-X and it works good. Just make sure the transmitter is in the field of view of the headunit. You can always email PAC and ask them if your Alpine headunit can support the SWI-JACK.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

The 9885 comes with a remote. Does that mean it has the plug?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run an SWI-X in mine, and I'm glad I do...it will work with most all head units that use IR remotes (my old Kenwood and my new Alpine CDA-9886 both work great).

I don't know where you guys are all mounting your IR things, but I'm curious. If you look at the cupholder behind the shifter, there's a notch on the passenger side of it with a flat facing forward. I drilled a small hole in that and ran the IR emitter to it...it works well for any deck that has it's reciever on the right hand side...sometimes in 6th gear it would get blocked on the Kenwood and most of the time it would work (was really close)...it ALWAYS works with the Alpine
Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
The 9885 comes with a remote. Does that mean it has the plug?
Not necessarily. A head unit could come with only a wireless (IR) remote. But in this case, the 9885 does come with the wired remote port on the back.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
Eskimo, what head unit do you have?

According to Crutchfield the JACK is for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood. Hence the letters.
On the way is an Alpine 9887. Currently installed is an old-*** Kenwood that was truly top-of-the-line in its day, but it was pre-MP3..

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface

One thing I noticed is that the SWI-JACK can be programmed for: Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Track Up, Track Down, Preset Up, Preset Down and Band.

The SWI-X, if you're a tinkerer like me, can be programmed for anything the remote can control. You could wow your friends and intimidate your enemies by making your faceplate fold down with a touch of the steering wheel! ooohhh, aaaahhhh (At least on my old CVA-1004, the screen could be extended and retracted with the remote)

According to the manual, you should see the plug for the SWI-JACK between the AI-net plug and the main wiring harness plug.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Not necessarily. A head unit could come with only a wireless (IR) remote. But in this case, the 9885 does come with the wired remote port on the back.

Cool, so that means I won't have to worry about the signal being blocked (as mentioned above) or trying to find a place for the transmitter to sit and aimed at the radio.