Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

People with painted rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People with painted rims

I just wanted to know if you left your tires on when you painted your rims or you took them off. I am going to paint my stock rims black. I have seen alot of good pic of painted rims that some of you guys did. Why would I paint my rims, because it's cheaper then powder coating. If it chips or look bad I dont care I going to get rims very very soon. It just something for now. I want the new ZR1's in black with polished lip. if the rims turn out nice I will wait for the ZR1's if it looks bad I just get something dif and get the ZR1's later.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Keep in mind that if you do paint them and it chips and looks like crap, you are stuck with them. Nobody would buy them, if that is a concern.

You have to clean the wheels REALLY good if they are used. Scuff the surface a little with a 3M Scotchbrite pad, then primer them, then 3 or so coats of color, then 2 coats of clear. That should last a little longer than a quick spray job.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it's possible to paint the rims with the tires left on, just make sure you mask off the tire at the edge of the wheel.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

So it is ok to leave my tire on the rims.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Launching!

I took my tires off when i did my old zo6's. Then i covered them with aircraft stripper and got all the old paint off. After that I did a small amount of scuffing and sanding. Primered them, then 4 coats of color(gradually got heavier in each coat), and 3 of clear(first light and then two heavy).

Sold the wheels about 5 months later for almost double what I gave my buddy for them.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:53 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for your help. I hope I can sell mine after I get the rims I want.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing that may help masking the tire, is to use a deck of playing cards. You can slide them in behind the wheel lip a little to help mask the tire better.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

I left my tires on and just covered them really well. What kind of wheels are you painting?? Im assuming the aluminum ws6 wheels??
Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I am doing the rims on my camaro. The firebird is just a v6 DD it looks good with the rims on it now.
Attached Thumbnails People with painted rims-maro.jpg   People with painted rims-100_0019.jpg   People with painted rims-100_0020.jpg  
Old 01-10-2008, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

I have a freind that paints his rims all the time and he takes playing card and sticks them around the rim and they come out good. I think it is better then masking tape. hope it helps
Old 01-12-2008, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

I will post up picks after I paint them. Thanks for the playing cards trick I will make sure I use them.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Keep in mind that if you do paint them and it chips and looks like crap, you are stuck with them. Nobody would buy them, if that is a concern.

You have to clean the wheels REALLY good if they are used. Scuff the surface a little with a 3M Scotchbrite pad, then primer them, then 3 or so coats of color, then 2 coats of clear. That should last a little longer than a quick spray job.

I just picked up a 2000 SS and it had painted SS rims. My daughter wanted to drive it and in one trip to the store, she came back with it looking like the pictures I have here! it looks GETTO! You can redo them and I will but it is an extreme pain in the butt. I am going to but am upgrading to vette rims if I can.in the mean time I wont even drive it this way.
Attached Thumbnails People with painted rims-3bc5_3.jpg   People with painted rims-57fd_3.jpg  
Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrisout
I just picked up a 2000 SS and it had painted SS rims. My daughter wanted to drive it and in one trip to the store, she came back with it looking like the pictures I have here! it looks GETTO! You can redo them and I will but it is an extreme pain in the butt. I am going to but am upgrading to vette rims if I can.in the mean time I wont even drive it this way.
i actually like your SS... personal choice i guess..
Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisout
Damn, you should have taught her to drive better. Hit curbs on both sides, good lord.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you paint ttem black try to keep a silver lip or it wont look right, It'll seem like the rim and tire are one piece. Personally I say give tomz a call or go with gunmetal paint
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

What Tony said is the process to follow.

I left tires on and had no issues with it.

I actually painted my wheels twice (posted pics of both). The first came out really good but I wanted to have a shine to the lip. The second time I was planning on changing the silver lip to the polished metal underneath but the aircraft stripper messed up so I just painted the wheels all black. The stripper really screwed up the wheels finish. I tried to sand it down but that proved to me a longer than enjoyable process. They did come out fine as all black and I actually enjoy the way they look but two wheels are bent anyways so it wasn't much of a concern with long term usage.

Last edited by shiv15; 01-31-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

I painted my zr1's black, just got them on yesterday. they turned out great! duplicolor black and clear (3 coats of each), it's all in the prep time, i took at least an hour per wheel sanding and prepping

Last edited by atxz/28maro; 01-30-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Damn, you should have taught her to drive better. Hit curbs on both sides, good lord.
I know! I was so pissed! I am still debating what to do. redo them, get Z06's or some others.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
i actually like your SS... personal choice i guess..
What I meant was that they look terrible rashed, they look pretty good blacked out. I was out today and there were two other SS's in town and they both had theirs blacked out. Seeing the cars in motion gives you a different perspective. Looks more race than stock. One of them has a red hand painted pin stripe on the lip and his were painted gloss black. It really looked great.
My car has TRW drilled and slotted rotors and I think that really tops it off.

Chris.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:51 AM
Restricted User

I have an extra set of wheels like the OP has and was going to powdercoat them in my garage. I was thinking about using matte black. What does everyone think?