Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Carrier swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Carrier swap

Well, I tried searching but could not find the answer I was looking for..I'm a bit confused..

I have stock 2.73 gears in my auto Z28 with NO traction control. I just bought a 3 series carrier with 3.42 gears. I am not sure if it is 4 chan or 3 chan....(haven't received it yet)

I know from keliente's faq that "4 channel rear ends have reluctor wheels on each axle, 3 channel rears have one big reluctor ring on the differential."

So will it be a problem if the carrier I got is 4channel?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it comes witout a ring just buy one, make sure you buy the ring for a 3 series carrier though, there are different thickness rings between the 2 and 3 series carriers. Sanwich the ring between the ring gear and the carrier with the chamfered ID facing teh carrier, when you torque down the reverse thereaded ring gear bolts it will draw the ring into teh register on the carrier
Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well if its a series 3 without the reluctor ring (which would be weird) then you don't necessarily need it unless you want your ABS, but either way with 2.73's (which are Series 2 carriers) they don't use the reluctor ring so it doesn't really matter. I personally have a series 3 carrier but took the reluctor ring off, i prefer the car without ABS
Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jetlag
Well, I tried searching but could not find the answer I was looking for..I'm a bit confused..

I have stock 2.73 gears in my auto Z28 with NO traction control. I just bought a 3 series carrier with 3.42 gears. I am not sure if it is 4 chan or 3 chan....(haven't received it yet)

I know from keliente's faq that "4 channel rear ends have reluctor wheels on each axle, 3 channel rears have one big reluctor ring on the differential."

So will it be a problem if the carrier I got is 4channel?

You should be able to use the carrier, there is no 3/4 Channel distinction on the carrier cases but you will need the proper ABS tone ring.

Jeff
Old 01-08-2008, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Oh ok thanks guys, yeah I had found the reluctor ring part number last night... 26029185
Old 01-09-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zlover129
Well if its a series 3 without the reluctor ring (which would be weird) then you don't necessarily need it unless you want your ABS, but either way with 2.73's (which are Series 2 carriers) they don't use the reluctor ring so it doesn't really matter. I personally have a series 3 carrier but took the reluctor ring off, i prefer the car without ABS
different series carriers have nothing to do with how many channels the braking system has. There is nothing weird about having a 4 channel car with 3.42 gears. And just because someone has 2.73's does not mean automaticaly have traction control
Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

I was going to try and explain that an internal reluctor can be on either series and that it depends on the presence of traction control as to whether the sensors are at the wheels or not. But after composing the message I decided that I don't know enough about all the possible variations and deleted it.

So let me ask now, do all 4 channel fbody axles have the outboard sensors and do all 3 channel fbody axles have the internal reluctor or are there exceptions to this?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
I was going to try and explain that an internal reluctor can be on either series and that it depends on the presence of traction control as to whether the sensors are at the wheels or not. But after composing the message I decided that I don't know enough about all the possible variations and deleted it.

So let me ask now, do all 4 channel fbody axles have the outboard sensors and do all 3 channel fbody axles have the internal reluctor or are there exceptions to this?
this link may help splain...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/617761-converting-4-channel-3-w-pics.html
Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
I

All 4 channel f-body axles have reluctor rings on each axle from the factory.

All 3 channel f-bodys have a reluctor ring on the carrier itself.

There are no variations on this.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by alamantia
this link may help splain...
Yes, I read through this thread a few days ago with interest. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com

Thanks, please see my PM about something else.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com

So.. will it be a problem since the carrier I am using is 4 chan and my car is not?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

So all I need for this 4chan carrier to work in my 3chan car would be that new reluctor ring?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jetlag
So all I need for this 4chan carrier to work in my 3chan car would be that new reluctor ring?
Correct.

Jeff