Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Driving in the snow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driving in the snow!

Well I woke up this morning and got surprised by about 4" of snow. So I hop in the car and start making my way towards work. I live down a mile long pot hole filled gravel road that has some mild hills and such. Well leaving at 5:45 the snow was virgin. I left my house and had to immediatly head up hill. The traction control tried to do it's thing, but doesn't help much in the snow. I made it up the little hill (maybe 100 yards in length) slowly, spinning, varrying the rpm/speed, backing a little, but I finally made it. Then on the rest of the drive where it leveled out, I was able to pick up some momentum and make it to the road without problems.

Once I got to the road it was slow going for some time, I saw quite a few cars in the ditch, I got passed by a lot of 4wd pickups and SUVs. The worst part was seeing some of the lines on the highway.

The good news is I made it to work with no problems. I'm just really glad I got the all season tires, cause there is absolutley no way I would have made it on my other tires.

So did anyone else have troubles getting around today?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Nope no snow here.

I heard on the radio that you guys were getting some snow, I can't beleive you guys are getting it all, We did not even get sprinkled on up here.

You lucky bastards. lol

This has been a really snowy year for you guys, hasn't it?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, for some reason we've gotten a lot more (occassions that is) this year than any other year I've been here (4 years). This is the first time I had to drive the vette in any "significant" snow though.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought..."
Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove the GTO in snow this morning... wasn't great but wasn't bad.. when I bought the tires on it, I specifically bought them for their snow driving ability... definitely glad I did now.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by crazylane
This has been a really snowy year for you guys, hasn't it?
They're saying that we might actually have near-record snow levels this winter.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Back in '69 when I was a high school senior we had about 3 feet on the ground. I didn't have to make up the one week we had off because the graduation ceremony was booked in advance. Then a couple of years later when I was at the UW there was even more snow on the ground. I remember you couldn't even tell that cars were parked on the street. They actually canceled school and even Boeing shut down. If this winter is going to beat that then I am glad I have sick leave and vacation time.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

So far we've had less snow here this year than any of the other 4 years we've been here...but then last year we had snow in April so Winter is far from over yet
Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Tails
Back in '69 when I was a high school senior we had about 3 feet on the ground. I didn't have to make up the one week we had off because the graduation ceremony was booked in advance. Then a couple of years later when I was at the UW there was even more snow on the ground. I remember you couldn't even tell that cars were parked on the street. They actually canceled school and even Boeing shut down. If this winter is going to beat that then I am glad I have sick leave and vacation time.

I just think about the winter we had so much snow that some of the ski areas had to close because of TOO MUCH snow.... I could go for a winter of that kind of skiing.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last winter I opened the garage door so the car could see what snow looked like.

It wasn't impressed!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

We have been lcuky this year we havent had snow here (that has amounted to anything) But Yesterday Olympia got slammed with it & then today we had icey roads.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Here we go again. Looks like all week is snow forcasted for the great north west.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Yep, I'm working from home today... it's a mess out here in North Bend, we got about 3-4 inches.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Isn't global warming great?!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
Isn't global warming great?!
Any time I get to work from home is great... it can snow all it wants.. LOL More snow = better skiing.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Our state is stupid!

Spent 2 hours trying to get to work and its about 7-8 miles from the driveway...no plows, no sand, damn transit busses sideways on the roads and they kept making me turn to ANOTHER road that wouldn't take me to work! I actually ended up making a huge drive around work but couldn't get to it from our state not doing a damn thing when they knew we were getting up to 3" with freezing temperatures last night on the eastside.

I was so pissed I shot off an email to our wuss state govenor. I hope she got smacked into on her way to work and gets a f'n clue!

The upside: we got a snow day at work. Since we will have tow trucks rolling in and dropping off all day, only the owners were there (dually diesel boat hauler, left from his place before anyone else even hit the roads) and they told the rest of us to stay home because...we know what happens when its like this and don't want to have to fix our cars and trucks too
Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

We got 4-5 inches here in Lynnwood........makes me SOOOOO glad I got the AWD version.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

it took us 4hrs to get from Sea Tac to the house, The going was good until we hit 507 & then it was nothing but ICE & Snow, hell it took Dan An hour just to get from Vail to our house. driving 10 miles an hour on a 6mile
Old 01-28-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just saw Brad and his TA on Kiro 7. :O
Old 01-28-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tylerb59
I just saw Brad and his TA on Kiro 7. :O
I saw that too but was hoping I glanced at the screen too late to see if it was really him...that sucks!

Its been snowing on and off all morning still holding steady at 33* so we are screwed for tomorrow unless it rains tonight.

Quick Reply: Driving in the snow!