Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Powder coating blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Powder coating blues

So I order myself some TTII's with the intent of getting them powder coated a gunmetel color. I've had the rims for about a month now and decided to take them to "Lo-Ko" in Oak lawn. I get there, decide on a color and tell them I want the lip to stay polished. The guy says no problem.

I get a call the folowing Monday with them telling me they cannot powder coate these rims how I would like. I'm like WTF is going on and why didn't he tell me this three days ago. So I have to dead head another 45min to pick up my rims. I talk to the owner and he says they can't mask anything when powder coating because of the extreme heat. I'm like ok, but this would have been nice to know when I was here the first time.

I then proceed to Arlington Heights to "Wheels of America" for a second opinion. He tells me the same thing but he can paint them and put a powder clear coat over it. I asked him how all these people are getting their wheels powder coated like mine and he says their not, it's just a powder clear coat. Oh, and it's $130 a rim....$40 more than I had planned on.

So now I think I'm just gonna have them painted and leave it at that. I only drive the car in the summer on nice weekends anyway. Anyone know a good painter in the South suburbs?