Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Light?

As you know you start your car up it comes on then goes off. Well this time it did not. First thought that came to mind is its just a reminder to change my oil and what not Im near 3000 miles 2.1k right now I think. I bought the car with 30k on it so this is the first time I am experiancing this light coming on. Just wondering if anyone had advice. Needless to say Im taking it to the garage on Friday after work anyways for my own safety.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

You can take it to autozone for a free read on what code it is
Old 01-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get that checked out asap. I had a friend that ignored a check engine light. Then one day out of no where....he got attacked by gremlins, then the car bursted into flames!!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

lol, yeah get it checked at autozone...it could be any number of things man....does the car act any differently?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in the same posistion as you man, remember that you need like $250 bucks, haha, or more, to "Rent" the scanner from autozone. Then when your done you can return it and get your money back....
Old 01-09-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Around here they just go out to the car and read the codes.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, any decent place will scan the code for you.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not around L.A. anymore. like Ref said, they want you to pay for it first, then get your money back. That's bullshit, but I guess too many people were running off with them or placing blame on Autozone for having the employee read the codes when the cars break down.

You can also buy a used Hypertech in the for sale section, to read and delete the codes.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Pshh last time i rented it they took two weeks to give back my money this was like a yera ago so when i go in now i tell them there not going to charge it but they can hold it for me while i go outside and check (the mexican that work's there is an idiot and started some dig ol ordeal and the white manager came in and told him to stfu lol and then i walked out to scan and smirked when i took my car back
Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by letsrun97z
Pshh last time i rented it they took two weeks to give back my money this was like a yera ago so when i go in now i tell them there not going to charge it but they can hold it for me while i go outside and check (the mexican that work's there is an idiot and started some dig ol ordeal and the white manager came in and told him to stfu lol and then i walked out to scan and smirked when i took my car back
Well you must be white yourself, because there is no way they'll do that around L.A.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Default there's another light for oil...

the SES light doesn't come on when the computer thinks it's time for an oil change (which will vary, BTW, based on engine load/stress)- there's a dedicated indicator light for that, and it'll be pretty plain.

-sectari
Old 01-10-2008, 02:52 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NoobieMcNoob
Needless to say Im taking it to the garage on Friday after work anyways for my own safety.
Check engine lights have nothing to do with safety, it's about emissions. Your engine is in no danger at all. You could drive that car for the rest of its life with a screwed up emissions system and the only thing that would be hurt would be the environment, but who cares about that anyway? Let the tree-huggers and whale-savers worry about the environment.

Also, for about a $100 you could buy your own scanner. I've saved myself hundreds of dollars with that thing as it has allowed me to diagnose and fix problems on my own...