Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

zz 502 Project and info

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool zz 502 Project and info

The project is back on with my 1998 v6 turned into a monster 502. First off, for anybody starting a project, PLEASE listen to the people on this forum. They know what they are talking about and the info they give you isn’t always BS. Matter of fact I have done three projects all different styles, A lifted V6 Dakota with a rebuild, Rebuild of a cobra snowmobile(very very old we will say), and The new car with the 502 engine swap with all other mods NEEDED to make it take the abuse of this big block.

First I want to say thanks to everybody who has helped me and who helped thru postings. Always remember to use the SEARCH function. I don’t have many posts because all I do is search search and PM when I have a question I think someone can steer me in the right direction to.

About me car: Was a 1998 V6 Camaro with a T5(stick)Transmission and The engine that was in the car was going to the crapper. It needed massive work to stay running. When I bought the cam from the dealer, they told me it could last 2 years or it could last 2 months... Well I got about 2 months. I figured it was going to go. Good military discount on the car so I couldn’t pass it up.

Next step was funding: Not much of a problem being in the military, but asking the wife for the green light was hard and being 21 at the time would kill on insurance after. But all went well ok

The plan: original plan was a crate gm 350 pushing 400hp not to be confused with 400rwhp so that was kind of a bust. With a th350 transmission rear shift valve body w/ a nitrous 2400 stall TQ converter, a B&M ratchet shifter, strange 12 bolt rear end fully load with a no slip locker. I haven’t done anything to the gears yet. The v6 springs were left in the rear and the front was changed to BMR's adjustable coil over kit. A custom true dual exhaust system using hooker headers, two dynomax bullet mufflers dumped.

I didn’t fully stick with my plan. This brings me to my next point. When you make a plan, you make one for a reason. Stick with it. My total expense was about 12 grand. That’s including lots of other stuff that can be found in the sticky in this area. But stick with what you plan, you will be much happier in the end over trying something a little out of the blue.

I changed the engine to the zz502/502 and swtitched to a th400. It forced a 4" cowl hood to be bought. Down time to the attack a little bit. Way less know how for what was going on. It was just a big push for a last minute switch. Also, I would suggest getting an engine built to what you are looking for. I wasn’t sure what I wanted but I knew I wanted to go to the strip once and awhile just to see what would happen when I open it up. But I knew I wanted to be able to kick some butt on the street. I’m not all about hating on the ricers(yes I call em rice...sorry) but I do hate when they think there body kits give them and extra 100hp. And the only thing better then seeing a SS come up and kicking there butt is a crazy BBC Camaro scare them away as them aggressive looking birds do .

Now after the projects almost done I look at my car wanting more, you always want more. This is why I suggest looking into what ever you can about getting a custom made engine for what u want to do. Luckily the 502 in my opinion has everything it needs to become a mad bull. Forged everything in the bottom end and a big CI that’s going to take a lot of abuse. The top end I must say is being choked out. 502 CI and 502hp...come on buddy, we can do better then that. But with the heads swapped and some work done on them and a different carb and intake we can easily be looking at 700hp. That’s more like it. Now if a person would want an all motor 1000hp monster, its pretty doable itself w/ out stuffing larger amounts of cash into it. But all in all, I’m sure most will agree with me when you can get that with a custom built BBC easier then buying a crate and turning it around. Heck even a SBC can be turned into that if done correctly.

Now, my new plans with my 502 after its done are to add some juice to it. I’m looking to add about 350hp buying spraying a dual shot 200-350 to my big block. I have heard mixed info on if it’s too big of a shot for my 502 crate motor. But I have talked with 3 different nitrous companies and they all say it should be ok. Best way to really find out something is to see it done. So we are going to slowly see how much it truly can hand safely.

I wanted a supercharger or turbocharger to tell ya the truth, but since this has to be done this year and I wont be able to had much more for a lot of years due to the deal with my wife and our house, only way to push deep in my pockets in one year with this project staked on the other one is to do carb, intake, 200-400 dual nos shot is the kit I picked. So Ill be keeping ya posted as we finish and start into that one.

Ill being posting up some pics. Feel free to share anything on your guy's BBC swaps or any input you think may help with my 2nd project as I am only just starting the research now. Thanks

Last edited by Campton; 01-09-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: wording
Old 01-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Cant wait to see pics sounds badass ttt
Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

please post more up ASAP

Main thing I wanna know is how well the 502 fits in the engine bay... I've been thinking about doing a 502 or bigger build for my '95 for a while now....
Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

The 502 fits well, not much room to play with. The bmr k-member works well.Everything bolts up perfectly. Made everything very simple. Only problem we had was that the engine sat way to far back and I had to cut room in the fire wall for the distributer to fit from the engine rocking when i slam on it. Soon as I figure out how to post pics Ill throw some up. First few are off my cell but im going back with my camera to take some better pics.But the way our cars where built is great. Lots of room length wise in there. I could fit two or three more be cool radiators between the nose and the engine. custom headers from lemon headers are a must in my opinion. I was going with some hookers and was going to cut them up to fight. But its better with custom headers.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

im thinking of going with a BBC in my camaro. this LT1's killing me..
Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

I love BBC's, though Im not sure I would have done this project if I had had a ls1 or a lt1 for that matter. But since my V6 blew I thought it was the perfect idea. But as I always say, do what feels good.
Does anybody know anything about the STS rear mount turbos? I have been thinking about it? Might take the leap that direction for my twin turbo setup. I havent done a bunch of searching on the site yet, but I will be. Might become my fall project.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Dont be too quick to chuck the heads! Cant say the same about the valvetrain. Id replace that(valvetrain) and the intake depending on what your plans are. Large heads are for big cube and high RPM's. Topstock guys are getting 675hp out of 502's. They cant touch the heads.

Last edited by jester1; 01-22-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Old 01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Old 01-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Heres some pics of the unfinished project at hand. I plan to keep my heads, as i found that with a little bit of porting and what-not it will come alive. The plan for a rear mount turbo has started. I apologize for my lack of good grammar, my wife mad fun of me so....whatever... anyways. Ill keep ya posted
Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Hows This project coming?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

I hate when it double post

Last edited by xx_ED_xx; 03-01-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

The 502 is a good motor when ya port the heads and go to a big solid roller. You'll need a 1050 carb too along with at least a Super Victor. Setup right, it'll make 750+ at the crank. Add some juice and you're around 1K at the wheels.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

project is finished for the most part. I kept the moor as is for now. But I will tear into the motor after deployment. But its up and running. www.fquick.com/campton are where my pics and soon to be videos are
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

good call going old school! i have a 95Z i put a 454 and turbo 400 into...only thing thats a real shame is the BMR set up...i did motor plates in my car and i have no distributor or wiper cowl issues. what did you run for headers?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any news on this build?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Long overdue post. I have been up and down with this car. Spent well over the amount that was listed as my goal and in the end I came out well satisfied with the power output and all but sad how drag cars handle. For some that want to know about a spool and daily driving… Dumb, annoying, and some. Mine is not a daily driver though. Nor is it an LS1. I do wish I had done the 240 Ls1 like I planned in the beginning. While not making up my mind for if I wanted to have a turbo, nitrous, supercharger I ended up working a ton and bought nitrous and a blower. I only have nitrous on the car but have not used it. I fully understand the power to smile ratio now. I think I am at that level.

I don’t know how long I will own this car since I do have a couple of babies on the way. I hope to keep it though. As much as I hate to say it, the blower sitting in my garage will be put on this car at some point. Not for the power or for the cool effect but because it is not done often and I already have it and cleaned it up. I also have a water injection kit for it. I figure cutting my cowl hood is not a wise idea but I do think I will do it depending on my raise at work or not .

All in all, the project was fun. I have updated photos and videos I need to get on here but I will have to do that another time. To those that have finished projects I clap. To those that are currently doing them I clap as well. I have grown up only a little in the past few years but I do understand a lot more for what it takes to do stuff like this. For rookies I once again suggest thinking it through or at least building something cheaper and easier first (though my project wasn’t all that hard..just lost of bumps in the road). And try to do it when your bills are fully paid off. I found that if I had too many bills I would have failed. Though I wish I had less before then I do now. Once all is caught up you will feel great.

Finished product:
1998 Chevy Camaro (3.8L)
Swap zz502/502
TH400 Tranny 2400 B&M nitrous stall
Dana s60 rear with 3.5? (I forgot if its 3.50, 3.51, or 3.55) Spool
BMR Big block k-member, coil over conversion (front only), BMR TH400 tranny mount
Be cool custom radiator w/ 3300 single fan (need dual I think)
150 sniper nitrous shot
B&M ratchet shifter
Custom gauge pod with digital gauges
850 holly DP carb
Programmable MSD 6AL-2
NOS Mini nitrous controller

Soon to add:
Rebuilt gm 6-71 blower w/ new intake
850 DP carb linked
Custom water injection kit
Maybe a dual fan kit if needed
8 point roll bar
I probably won’t even spin my blower that hard as I do not want to get close to detonation. My engine has about 9.15:1 compression after measuring (talk about a difference to the rate 9.6 by GM). So it will have about 4 psi max with the water injection on when it hits 4 unless I get I tuned well then Ill look into 6 (since I do have a 6al-2). We shall see. I just hope after installing it that I can see enough to which I still want to drive it 
Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

that car will be scary fast with 4-6 lbs, 150 shot, and 502 cubes lol. probably over 800 hp/tq
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stumprrp
that car will be scary fast with 4-6 lbs, 150 shot, and 502 cubes lol. probably over 800 hp/tq
Yeah, that wasn’t the goal but it kind of just happened.

Quick Reply: zz 502 Project and info