Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 cam replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 cam replacement

Does the heads have to be removed to replace the cam in a LS1 ? I know if the lifters are replaced the heads have to come off but could you spin the engine upside down to get the lifters to back out of the way to install a cam. Also how do you adjust the valves?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: LS1 cam replacement

I will wait for one of the more educated members to chime in on the procedure but the answer is yes it can be replaced without removing the heads. You can even do it in car so it is not necessary to turn the engine upside down.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I am doing a 4.8 to LS1 / T56 swap in my 01 pickup and I have the LS1 on a engine stand.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can change the cam in the car without taking the heads off. If you pull the valve covers to change the springs take the push rods out, then when you go to pull the stock cam spin it a couple of times and it locks the lifters in the factory keepers, and you can pull the old cam out without the lifters falling. I would put the new cam in as soon as possible just in case. I was really leary of doing this but it worked exactly the was it was supposed to. Hope this helps if you have any questions shoot me an e-mail ngarrett00@yahoo.com i just finished up a cam swap on my car last weekend. Good luck
Old 07-03-2003, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about the valves, cake, 22ft lbs, rotate engine and make sure all are correct

(thinking of that camercial where the guy turns over his whole car to get to the oil drain bolt, lol, nope dont have to turn it upside down, j/k)
Old 07-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Also be careful when you turn the cam over prior to removal. On my car when I turned it over I could hear a lifter falling because the factory keeper wouldn't hold it. What I then did was put all the pushrods back in and turned it over a couple more times, checked to see which lifters were not staying up, then bought pen magnets and had some buddies hold the lifters up while I swapped cams. It was a painstaking process and at some points quite tense, but we got it done no problem. I guess my point is, keep a close eye on the lifters prior to removing your cam as the factory keepers don't always in all cases hold them up out of the way.

Just my $.02

Mike
Old 07-07-2003, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

You can change the cam in the car without taking the heads off. If you pull the valve covers to change the springs take the push rods out, then when you go to pull the stock cam spin it a couple of times and it locks the lifters in the factory keepers, and you can pull the old cam out without the lifters falling. I would put the new cam in as soon as possible just in case. I was really leary of doing this but it worked exactly the was it was supposed to. Hope this helps if you have any questions shoot me an e-mail ngarrett00@yahoo.com i just finished up a cam swap on my car last weekend. Good luck
You were right, I turned the cam over a few times and it cam out and a new one went in with no problems. I am still not quite sure about valve adjustment, do I need to have the valve off of the lobe before I torque it? and does it matter how many turns it goes after there is no lash untill torque amount is reached?
Old 07-07-2003, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Non adjustable valve train. Tighten the rockers to 23 ft lbs. spin the crank 180 degrees and recheck the tq.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also be careful when you turn the cam over prior to removal. On my car when I turned it over I could hear a lifter falling because the factory keeper wouldn't hold it. What I then did was put all the pushrods back in and turned it over a couple more times, checked to see which lifters were not staying up, then bought pen magnets and had some buddies hold the lifters up while I swapped cams. It was a painstaking process and at some points quite tense, but we got it done no problem. I guess my point is, keep a close eye on the lifters prior to removing your cam as the factory keepers don't always in all cases hold them up out of the way.

Just my $.02

Mike
That's true, My stock lifter keepers did not hold my lifters in place, I ended up dropping a lifter!
Old 07-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need buddies to hold the pen magenets; you just bend the clips out 45* and hook them on the edge of the heads.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:35 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am still not quite sure about valve adjustment, do I need to have the valve off of the lobe before I torque it? and does it matter how many turns it goes after there is no lash untill torque amount is reached?

You should check the preload on at least one cylinder unless you are putting all the stock valvetrain parts and cam back in. Preload should be .25 to 1.0 turn of the bolt.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:47 AM
D(irecto)r Pepper

6 gear... you all squared away?
No more questions?

Quick Reply: LS1 cam replacement