Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Help....what to do first???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cooling Help....what to do first???

I am trying to start getting some Ideas on what I need to do to help my car during the HOT summertime.

This past summer in traffic I saw some temps up to 240(that is with a 160 t-stat and the fans set correctly)

I put distilled water and water wetter, plus I removed my SSRA scoop to get more air to the radiator. That lowered my temps by about 15 degrees, but It still needs some help.

What would help me more.............Better radiator, or a better Water pump?

Should I look into a electric water pump or an aftermarket belt driven pump?

Which brand of each would be good?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like an electric pump may be the best bet. it will pump more coolant at idle and slow speed than any mechanical unit.

have you made sure that your radiator has not got some clogs in it? the stock unit should have enough surface to cool most hi-perf lsx engines, so i'm thinking your just not flowing enough water.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you programmed your fans to come on sooner ?.. using a 160 T-Stat will not help that much alone. (yeah.. you can read a lot of debates on that subject)

Maybe using some higher CFM fans on the radaitor might help. Also using a standalone trans cooler with a fan. What about you having a air pocket in the cooling system. ?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

The fans are programed to come on a lot sooner. I did find a bunch of the gunky stuff from the dexacool when I changed the fluid, but I flushed it out really well.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am going to a LT1 radiator (find them new and cheap
on eBay). Try cleaning out your A/C condenser and
radiator core fins, they can catch a whole lot of fine
debris over time.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

I doubt it is an air pocket........the coolant is always full and at idle I can see it circulation through the radiator with the cap off.

The Mezier EWP shows that it flows 55gph.........I wonder how much the stock one flows at idle and at highway speed?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I got a lot of junk out of the fins when I did the cam swap. I need to go through and clean it out again to make sure that is not an issue.

I am swapping to a trans cooler with a separate fan this week.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

i don't remember exact numbers, but i've read several times that the EWP flows more water (constantly) than the stock unit does at max rpm.

as for the stat....at idle or VERY slow speed it does little. it has more to do with the fan settings. which you have taken care of.

but the stat will definatly help once moving.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like your radiator (or other parts of your cooling system) may be clogged or worm. How many miles on the car? When was the last time the hoses were replaced? A flush and fill every 2 years keeps things pretty clean but eventually the build up will impact the hoses, radiator and coolant passages in the block. I would start with a full flush and fill with a strong system cleaner. Replace the hoses and see where that gets you. If you still have issues and your fans are set to come on early (~195 F) then I'd say your radiator is toast.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

I normally don't have cooling problems, but times during the summer when it is over 100 outside and I am driving in town is when I have the problems. The car has 82k miles on it and the hoses have never been replaced. Sounds like the dexacool stuff has gunked everything up.