Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you make the sound of a catback but loudnes of TD's?

Old 01-10-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can you make the sound of a catback but loudnes of TD's?

So I am just trying to plan some things out for my soon to be LS1. On my previous car (93 LT1) I removed the muffler, left the cat on. The thing sounded real nice but if I WOT it, the thing would get real poppy when I let off the gas. If I went TD's would this happen? I am afraid of it sounding like poop. But I really want it to be loud. I wish there was some way to get the sound of a catback and the loud of TD's...

here is a link of what my old car sounded like (this isn't the actual car, just one off of youtube)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fz7sanOvNO4

What do you guys think?

Thanks

M
Old 01-10-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to be sticking with the stock manifolds for a while get the SLP Loudmouth. It's one of the best sounding cat backs. If you will be doing headers I would go with Magnaflow or Hooker. Or just put a cut-out before the muffler if you don't plan on modding right away.

Welcome to the site by the way. My boss lives out in Chelsea and I hang out that way every now and then.

-George
Old 01-10-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are a ton of setups out there, try searching for clips and listen to different ones. The louder catbacks are your borla, slp loudmouth. The magnaflow and corsa sound really nice. I would recomend TDs, I would never go back to a y. Search for clips of tds with single chamber flowmasters, my clip and some others will come up.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I was planning on going LT's, Probably pretty quick, It will be one of my first major mods. I just loved how loud old Camaro was, I love getting attention from people and cops.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also check out http://www.ls1sounds.com/
Old 01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I checked there...I got a little of an idea but I dont think sound clips really justify it.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcalus
Yeah I checked there...I got a little of an idea but I dont think sound clips really justify it.
TSP's true dual kit is pretty popular. You can also check out the Mufflex 4" cat back. I had the LM1 with ORY and long tubes -obnoxious! Some diehards swear by it, but I got sick of it after a month. It has the notorious mid rpm drone.

Search this Thread