General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

soon to be new ls1 owner, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default soon to be new ls1 owner, few questions

so i will be road tripping to tenn. to buy my first trans am at the end of this month...it is a 2001 H/C exhaust nhra trans am m6...i have been on the site for a while i just want some advice from the veterans about what i shoudl do or not do with the car...basically give me advice for a new ls1 owner Thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Enjoy it. Drive it. That is all.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

What kind of car did you have prior? Hopefully it had some horsepower because this thing with H/C will be quick. So don't be stupid with it. I got my car stock. One because I haven't owned below a 14.0 sec car prior. Two because I wanted to do all the work myself so i knew it would be done right. And three, to me part of the fun is going from the ground up and creating your own ride just the way you want it. Good luck with your new car and enjoy it bro.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Congrats on the soon to be car..sounds nice. Good Luck. My only advice is keep it clean and run good oil.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Resident

sounds like a good car...give the car a good look through man, bring a friend that has been working/driving these cars for awhile...reason is because if this car was raced, which if it is a h/c car, it has been, you don't want to pick up a car that is about to die.....check the oil sounds obvious, but my friend picked up a h/c camaro and the oil was as dark as night!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its already got a h/c setup u really wouldnt have much to do unless u want to put some nitrous and stuff like that! try to find out what heads and cam the car has. enjoy it!! good luck!!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedthrillsme
What kind of car did you have prior? Hopefully it had some horsepower because this thing with H/C will be quick. So don't be stupid with it. I got my car stock. One because I haven't owned below a 14.0 sec car prior. Two because I wanted to do all the work myself so i knew it would be done right. And three, to me part of the fun is going from the ground up and creating your own ride just the way you want it. Good luck with your new car and enjoy it bro.
well i have a 97 explorer as my DD,and a honda cbr 900rr for my toy so i know about speed and not being an idiot with it, so i know the car will be different than the bike but i think i know how not to be an idiot with fast thing....i wanted to get a stock car so i could do it all myself but then i was thinking i wouldnt have any money to put into her after the loan or id be DEAD BROKE so i decided to get something with some work done....but my main goal is to get a TT trans am so i still have A LOT of work to do myself and look forward to finishing an already beautifully started car

Originally Posted by bryan04h
sounds like a good car...give the car a good look through man, bring a friend that has been working/driving these cars for awhile...reason is because if this car was raced, which if it is a h/c car, it has been, you don't want to pick up a car that is about to die.....check the oil sounds obvious, but my friend picked up a h/c camaro and the oil was as dark as night!
yea he said hes gonna change the oil before i come down with german castrol??? i have never heard of that is it good oil? and would it be ok to switch the car over to royal purple the next oil change (or something else you guys would reccomend?) yea he has told me flat out he has raced the car on the street but said it runs and everythign good with no leaks or anything....he also put a TEX clutch in less than 3k miles ago

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
if its already got a h/c setup u really wouldnt have much to do unless u want to put some nitrous and stuff like that! try to find out what heads and cam the car has. enjoy it!! good luck!!
yea like i said im gonna start to do the build up for a nasty TT setup which will be my final thing i want to do with the car....i will be posting a lot in the forums asking for advice on my next mods so look out for me guys thanks for all the advice
Old 01-14-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

german castrol is good stuff. yes you can switch to RP.

if your going twin turbo find out if its a high compression head or not, and what the LSA is for bost you are going to want a 115 or higher
i never herd of a 900rr cbr. what year is it?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

just enjoy it and get comfortable in your new car, see what it can/cant do and what your capable of doing in it before you mod it any further...I would say wait atleast a couple months before doing anything to it. make sure it runs good no overheating problems, etc.
anyways congrats on the new ride
Old 01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like this guy didnt cheap out on anthing and knows how to take care of a car. I assume it will be in great condition mechanically, but make sure you check thoroughly.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change all the fluids and enjoy it! If the car has heads and cam then it will be beast! Just make sure the car was dyno tuned properly and makes for a good driver. Post pics when you get it!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

"A LOT of work to do myself and look forward to finishing an already beautifully started car "

what kind of mods do you plan on doing?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

if he raced it hard, its hard to tell what shape the rear end is in
Old 01-18-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ls1ssws6... how much are you buying it for?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
if your going twin turbo find out if its a high compression head or not, and what the LSA is for bost you are going to want a 115 or higher
i never herd of a 900rr cbr. what year is it?
is the german castrol better than RP? also the bike is a 1998 honda cbr 900rr

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Change all the fluids and enjoy it! If the car has heads and cam then it will be beast! Just make sure the car was dyno tuned properly and makes for a good driver. Post pics when you get it!
he said he is going to change the oil before i pick it up...what else should i change when i get it home?

Originally Posted by Lady_Bird
"A LOT of work to do myself and look forward to finishing an already beautifully started car "
what kind of mods do you plan on doing?
rear end, new wheels/tires maybe, HIDs, a little custom interior, (possibly) DP nitrous, tt down the road

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
ls1ssws6... how much are you buying it for?
15k good deal i think