Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you heard about ported MAF ends

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have you heard about ported MAF ends

OK i have heard a bunch of things. In my head i thought since the sensor would think that there is more air coming in it would make the car run richer to compinsate for more air.

but i've heard that it makes it run lean because the computer wouldn't makeit pump more gas.

I've also heard that the ported ends make the sensor think there isn't enough pressure making the car shift harder or slip or something. was that just for automatics or is that manuals also? and is that even true?

does anyone know the real story or can direct me in to a forum or site where this has been covered correctly? thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-03-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What have you heard about ported MAF ends

MAF ends gave my car a good boost in timing. 01 & up car's timing is in toliet, I used these and a Timing Tricker to get the timing up.

Some say they have trouble with an A4 shifting softer after MAF ends... I've had them on since the first week owning the car.. never any troubles related to them.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did the ported MAF ends on my car and got a nice improvement in top end power. My car is a '98 though and a stick, and from what I hear the mod only works well on cars 98-00 with manual trannys. IMO its one of the best free mods you can do. Just don't mess around with the sensor itself, only port the ends. You might wanna call out Patman on this one though, since he is the MAF porting expert
Old 07-03-2003, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ported and de-screened mine. I didn't notice jack, but then again I didn't notice anything from the whisper lid

I've gotten a code everytime I've driven the car, I'm going back to the stock MAF ends
Old 07-03-2003, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Some cars respond well, some don't. Some gain a few HP, some get tip in stumble and lose some. It really depends on the car. They are prone to leaning out a car and causing high RPM pinging. That is not good. If you do them, keep an eye on the pinging up high. I ran some for years until I did tuning and the tuner asked me to put the stockers back on. My ported ones are now for sale, FWIW.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Some cars respond well, some don't. Some gain a few HP, some get tip in stumble and lose some. It really depends on the car. They are prone to leaning out a car and causing high RPM pinging. That is not good. If you do them, keep an eye on the pinging up high. I ran some for years until I did tuning and the tuner asked me to put the stockers back on. My ported ones are now for sale, FWIW.
true that. my car didnt like the porting at all. i started to get detonation at around 4000 rpms or higher at wot and it was pissing me off i replaced the maf back with the stock one with the screen intact and the pinging is still there im taking it to a guy with ls1 edit and try to figure this **** out.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Teching In

I have a 98 M6 SS... so it doesn't do much for flow? i mean it will do a little better right but most of the power just comes from the timing increase... so a better plan would be to get a ls1 edit and just goof around with it a bit. just screw it keep with bolt ons and dyno tune some time down the road?
Old 07-03-2003, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

I BOUGHT THE PLASTIC PORTED MAF ENDS SO THAT IF IT GAVE ME TROUBLE ID PUT THE STOCK ONE BACK ON! ONLY ON THE FIRST DAY I GOT SOME PING-BUT SO FAR SO GOOD! PLUS THE PLASTIC PORTED MAF ENDS HAS LESS HEAT SOAK THAN THE FACTORY ALUMINUM ENDS.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:18 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I ran some for years until I did tuning and the tuner asked me to put the stockers back on. My ported ones are now for sale, FWIW.
Anyone want a GMS MAF?
I put the stocker, screen and all back on. The engine thanked me with a 389rwhp pull!
Old 07-03-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

I looked at your pull and scratched my head. I have almost the same setup and only did 365/355. I wonder what's wrong with mine?
Old 07-04-2003, 08:45 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I looked at your pull and scratched my head. I have almost the same setup and only did 365/355. I wonder what's wrong with mine?
I noticed you have a '99.
Do you have the LS6 intake? Upgraded injectors?
Let's do some figuring. Actually, PM me so we don't hijack this thread.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

I am haveing the same problem with my car, running too lean. I am not going to put back on the stocker I am just going to get a MAF translator to make up for it.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put on Whisper ends and took out the screen and ran almost 14/1 AF. Had to re program with LS1 edit on the dyno to get the AF under 13/1.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

well to tell you the truth they took out my tranny. weve all heard of the line pressure drop they supposedly cause. well the mechanic scanned it and saw a noticeable drop in pressure, or so he says. and the MAF ends being the only thing i changed that was the only possible culprit. so i say if M6 go for it, A4 ehh dont do it.

Quick Reply: What have you heard about ported MAF ends