General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What should I be looking when buying a 4th Gen LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I be looking when buying a 4th Gen LS1 Camaro

Hey guys and girls. Im in the market for a 4th Gen LS1 Camaro. I've been looking in the classifieds and all but wanted to get some info from you in the know before buying one. Hope this forum is OK for this!

What should I be looking for? Whats the differences from 98 - 2002? Ill tell you Im looking for a Camaro, auto equipped, T-tops maybe, and in the neighborhood of 10,000 - 15,000. Some mods are OK on it, not looking for a virgin one unless its the right price. How many miles can these take till i should worry about it being too many... is 70,000 too much? How are these 4l60 autos, do they hold up. Any issues w/ slippage when someone puts a 3000 or 3200 converter in it? Any info would help here. I've only ever owned Fords, and they've all been manual (besides my 01 Lightning before, but that was just a tow truck!). I've raced a Procharged stick 98 Vette (thats in the sig.) but its more of a shop car. Looking for a quick daily driver that I can slowly make into what I want it to be.

So a Camaro and an auto are both going to be new to me. Im looking to get one here in a couple weeks after the US Street Nat's race in Bradenton. Any info would help. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the differences from 98 - 2002?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2

What should I be looking for? Ill tell you Im looking for a Camaro, auto equipped, T-tops maybe, and in the neighborhood of 10,000 - 15,000.
Answered your own question.

70k is NOTHING on a well maintained LS1.Nothin bad about the 4L60 from what i've seen around, routine maintenance is pretty important on em. It's gonna really depend on how hard you run it and how much you mod.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you go with the auto, try and find one with 3.23 gears. That was the "performance axle ratio" on these cars, standard was the 2.73. I believe the option code for this was "GU4".

I have 2.73's in my Formula, I hate them. They keep the engine too far out of it's powerband.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike

I have 2.73's in my Formula, I hate them. They keep the engine too far out of it's powerband.
Get a 4000 stall.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssrbolt
Hey guys and girls. Im in the market for a 4th Gen LS1 Camaro. I've been looking in the classifieds and all but wanted to get some info from you in the know before buying one. Hope this forum is OK for this!

What should I be looking for? Whats the differences from 98 - 2002? Ill tell you Im looking for a Camaro, auto equipped, T-tops maybe, and in the neighborhood of 10,000 - 15,000. Some mods are OK on it, not looking for a virgin one unless its the right price. How many miles can these take till i should worry about it being too many... is 70,000 too much? How are these 4l60 autos, do they hold up. Any issues w/ slippage when someone puts a 3000 or 3200 converter in it? Any info would help here. I've only ever owned Fords, and they've all been manual (besides my 01 Lightning before, but that was just a tow truck!). I've raced a Procharged stick 98 Vette (thats in the sig.) but its more of a shop car. Looking for a quick daily driver that I can slowly make into what I want it to be.

So a Camaro and an auto are both going to be new to me. Im looking to get one here in a couple weeks after the US Street Nat's race in Bradenton. Any info would help. Thanks!

I paid $12,500 for my 2002 auto Z28, 100% stock with 45k miles. Deals are out there! These cars can handle a lot of miles. I wouldn't be scared of a higher mile one.

Check out the For Sale section, lots of great cars.