Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Suggestions on break in of new forged engine with APS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Suggestions on break in of new forged engine with APS

Well my new project is moving right along and i am getting ready to drop my new forged engine in the car anyday. After that, gotta bolt up the APS and we're good to go. I need to break in the new engine obviously and the car will have the aps kit on it. Last year, i was 2 bar tuned for my truck mani kit on 6 psi so i have a decent boost tune in the car now, however now it is cam'd with a different turbo kit (diff sized turbos) and also the wg springs are about 9 psi. So do you suggest i first drive it straight to w2w and get a more accurate street tune on it for break in or just go at it. Any tips/ tricks to the break in. I was told for about the first 500 miles to vary my RPMs a lot, not baby it, but dont go WOT, and probably stay out of boost if i can. Any tips/ suggestions for me? Thanks! After it gets broken in, i will go back to w2w for the final tune.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going throught the exact same thing right now (see my sig) and I saved this exact quote from legendary LS1 tuner, SLOWHAWK (Don Kinder), tuner for Dez Racing. Before getting to his statement there is NO DOUBT you want to go back to W2W and have them give you a basic street tune while your breaking in the motor. That is what I did on my car (put on first 50 miles yesterday) and that is was SLOWHAWK does also.

Here is what he stated on another thread regarding this issue:

"The biggest mistake is starting the car and letting it idle to fully warm up,expecially if the tune is not right.If the tune is rich in open loop(warm up) it can wash the rings down and I've seen it many times.

What I do -Put a basic tune in the car.Start it up with my scanner on and watch 02 readings ect.Give it some revs and hold rpm at 2000 for 10-20 seconds at a time.Let run like this for 5-10 minutes to check for leaks,fill coolant.Shut car off and dump oil. Fill with oil,start up and hit the road to load the motor.I like 1/4-1/2 throttle blasts to 4000rpm.I ussually put 20-40 miles on the car(while tuning) before the customer gets it back.Then I have them bring it back at 500 miles,change the oil and do some dyno runs to fine tune it.

This has worked very well for us.

For race cars we heat them up then start hammering them on the dyno.This is fine since they are short term motor's.When we pull them apart the bearings are almost shot."
Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok thanks, w2w is about 40-50 miles from me so i should fire it up, don't let it idle. just keep it at 2 grand ish for a a moment, repeat. Then drive it on the street changing RPMs from 1k-4k up to 1/2 throttle down to w2w. Have them look over the tune, continue to do this for the first 500 miles, change my oil. back to w2w and get the dyno tune?

Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

any special oil i should use for the first initial 500 break in miles?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:00 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the rings don't seat within the first few seconds of run time your builder screwed up. Put a couple street miles on it, then beat its *** (with a good tune, of course).
Old 01-11-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
any special oil i should use for the first initial 500 break in miles?

Regular 5/30 (non synthetic) motor oil. Any name brand will be just fine. After 1500 or 2000 miles switch to synthetic (if you want to run synthet). I will swith to synthetic probably around 3000 miles.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on break in of new forged engine with APS