Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Gauges Needles question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket Gauges Needles question

alright well i got my new gauges installed and had to pull the needles off to get them on... drew a picture of where everything was, and also took pictures with my cell phone to see where everything was... so after putting the needles back in their places, now the needles arent accurate.... so is there any way to tell where the needles need to be placed? like anywhere to look for inside the little hole or anything like that? i have pics of where everything sits at when the car is at warm idle and has idled for about 20 min also just because i figured i would need this
but if anyone has any hints or helps, i would appreciate it
Old 01-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I did the same. With the car warm and at idle, I was able to place everything accurately except for the speedometer.

To calibrate the speedometer, you can borrow someone's GPS. (If you don't have one.) Put it in map mode, so you get a mph readout and drive down a straight street. (If you go around a curve, you may not get your straight line speed.) Adjust as necessary and try various speeds to make sure you have it.

If you are off on other dials and don't have the gear to calibrate them, there are shops that specialize in gague modifications, etc. They should be able to calibrate your cluster on their bench.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i finally figured out what my problem was... we put the needles in the right places originally, but the overlay was not flush exactly with the back gauge, so the needles only worked when i pretty well hammered on the gas.... but all the smaller needles worked.... so i just super glued the back (not where the electrical wires were ran) and now its workin fine.... now to the bulb switching for the HVAC and headlight switch