Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New HU question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New HU question

Hey guys I bought a new headunit a little while ago and i have it in my car and when i change volumes the sound cracks and stuff a little, i just read that it might be amplifying the signal twice, how would i fix that?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If you have a Monsoon system then it is amplifying the sound twice (once in the head unit and once in the Monsoon amp) but that has nothing to do with your noise.

The most common cause of crackling like that is a dirty or defective volume control. If it's a rotary volume **** then a little spray contact cleaner might solve the problem.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well like when its at like a low volume it doesnt make any noise in between volumes like 1-2-3 but then like once i hit 4 it sounds like the sound has to like reset, sorry i dont really know how to explain it, but the sound completely cuts out for a split second. also, when the sound is low there is a constant static in the background
Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Did you replace just the head unit and leave all the factory wiring? Do you still have the original head unit? If so, try plugging the original back in and see if the problem goes away. That will tell you whether the problem is the new head unit or the amp/speakers/wiring.