Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Qtp Ory Q, (not A Clearance Q)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Qtp Ory Q, (not A Clearance Q)

I just bought QTP Race style TLs and i think i am going to buy there ORY-pipe but i am wondering if the ends of the Y-pipe that connects to the headers is larger than 3" so they fit over the headers, or is it a butt connection?

Also! i called QTP about the ORY-pipe and asked if it was SS, and they said yes, others are saying no. What is it really?

Thank You for the help!
Old 01-12-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should slip over the headers.

they dont mention it on their website being stainless

I know the kooks ory is stainless and fits with little modding.

Last edited by MdFormula350; 01-12-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Resident

The QTP ORY has always been aluminized steel AFAIK, not stainless

The QTP y-pipe uses a Flowmaster y-collector for the merge, and they only come in aluminized steel, so they use the same material for the y-pipe. Either QTP recently changed the design of their y-pipe, you misunderstood the response or someone at QTP lied to you.

The QTP y-pipe isn't a very popular piece because of the numerous complains about fitment and ground clearance. It's one of the best flowing y-pipes on the market, if not THE best thanks to the Flowmaster merge, but it's known for hanging very low. If you do it up on a lift and have a lot of time and patience, I've heard people have gotten good clearance out of it, but when I bought QTP's, I wound up just getting a custom y-pipe made.

It wound up costing less and ground clearance is better than stock.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

I'd like to know how much a "little" modding is to the Kooks to make it work and I'd like to see how well it clears the manual trans crossmember.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Seems like the only Y-pipe that works with QTP headers is theres, other than a custom one...
QTP Y-pipe is not SS and i am looking for a SS Y-pipe so i just might buy the QTP ORY and get all the dimensions and make my own (i do my own tig welding and bending) with out the Flowmaster Y Collector.
Yeah i think i am going to do that and do a write up on it. Who knows maybe a couple of guys on the site might want one.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Tech Resident

Gordon, I notice you live in NY. I believe ARH is in NY and they are a sponsor for the boards. Why not just drive over to ARH and have them make you a custom stainless steel ORY? I'm sure they'd do that for you no questions asked.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Gordon, I notice you live in NY. I believe ARH is in NY and they are a sponsor for the boards. Why not just drive over to ARH and have them make you a custom stainless steel ORY? I'm sure they'd do that for you no questions asked.
Thats one hell of an idea!!!
I didnt know they were in NY!
Old 01-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Resident

I think they're in Long Island. I notice you're really far upstate, so maybe it'll be too far of a drive. Any exhaust shop and make you a stainless steel Y-pipe. Maybe you'll have a closer alternative, but if you want ARH, they're there.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I will see what i and tehy can do.
I fell into a trap basically, i bought QTP LTs, and i want a SS ORY, and they dont make one, and from some searching around the only "mass produced" Y-pipe that fits the QTP LTs is their ORY.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

Same thing happened to me. I didn't realize it wasn't stainless until after I bought them.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

ARH for the win.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
ARH for the win.
Is there a reason why you'd want to pay $200 more for less power?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

I will lay money on the fact that one doesn't make any more power than the other. Peak hp, under the curve, whatever. They will vary even if you replaced your QTP's with another set.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Redlinez
I will lay money on the fact that one doesn't make any more power than the other. Peak hp, under the curve, whatever. They will vary even if you replaced your QTP's with another set.
The "fact"? You should only use the word "fact" when what you claim is actually a fact.

I see you buy into the myth that "all longtubes dyno the same." That couldn't be further from the truth. Some longtubes greatly outperform others.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/843960-norris-motorsports-installed-my-arh-headers-today.html

Check that thread out. The OP lost 5 rwhp switching from old Grot headers to ARH headers. Now, mind you, QTP's are based on the old Grot design. What you see is set of ARH's being beaten by an old design, and it's been proven that NEW QTP's with the HVMC's outperform the older QTP's by 5-10 horsepower. This means, if you extrapolate the information, QTP's should have made 10-15 horsepower more than ARH's in theory.

This has shown us that ARH's DO NOT outperform QTP's for sure, and it's highly likely QTP's will significantly outperform ARH's (QTP's are quite a bit longer so it's expected).

So, I ask you: why pay $200 more for an inferior performing header? They're both going to last as long as one another, so why pay more for less?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Listen to ChocoTaco369, i've been talking to him about my set up, and he is very knowledgeable!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Knowledgeable... Sure is, he knowingly let a shop HACK his Y pipe to ****. Its Welded to his collectors. If his tranny goes, then so does the exhaust, its gotta be cut outta the way. More or less power? Cmon man. what a few horsepower? maybe 2 or 3. But my system is COMPLETELY stainless... Will unbolt in minutes for trans work. Thats why it ARH for the MFW bitchboy.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Dont keep preaching about max horsepower.... I will gladly trade my 4 horsepower for peace of mind... But thats right, you dont do your own work.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
Dont keep preaching about max horsepower.... I will gladly trade my 4 horsepower for peace of mind... But thats right, you dont do your own work.
Every little bit of HP adds up at the end of the 1/4mi eventaully. Every little bit counts.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

People seem to forget the ARHs have the infamous HVMC too.... People also seem to forget that when dynoing a car, from one run to the next, the peak numbers WILL change. Unless every little aspect of the runs was identical... i.e. engine temps, ambiant air temps, and so forth are exact, they will be different. Whats the point? Every little bit helps. Sure. But just because you two drive the same car, doesnt mean that with the same exhaust, you will have the same results.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Also, with a proper tune, and corrected a/f ratio, I believe those numbers in the linked post, would be a HELLUVA lot closer.