Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hypertech

what do guys think about hypertech programers im thinking of buying one, is it a good idea.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

most people dont think its a good idea but i have a hypertech programer and i think it is a good idea
Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total waste of money. If you have no experience with car tuning then I wouldn't buy anything. Just pay a speed shop to dyno tune your car. If you are comfortable with tuning and have a laptop then get HP tuners or LS1edit. Either can do waaaaaay more then the hand held units can.

And if you don't have a laptop then the predator is better then the hypertech because you can change more stuff as well as read/delete ses codes.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

P.o.s.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

i would dyno tune...u heard the diablo predator is better than hypertech also
Old 01-12-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Total waste of money. If you have no experience with car tuning then I wouldn't buy anything. Just pay a speed shop to dyno tune your car. If you are comfortable with tuning and have a laptop then get HP tuners or LS1edit. Either can do waaaaaay more then the hand held units can.

And if you don't have a laptop then the predator is better then the hypertech because you can change more stuff as well as read/delete ses codes.
I agree with most of what you say other than the fact that a Hypertech is EXTREMELY user friendly and is great for newbies. I got one when I first got my car and I was more than happy to eliminate my top speed regulator, changed my tire size which of course the hypertech fixed, and most importantly, I felt an IMMEDIATE hp gain.. I think for the price it's a great 1st buy.

for the more advanced of us, with engine mods, a dyno tune is essential and the hypertech won't do ****. So that's why most of the moderate-heavy modded car guys say the handhelds aren't worth a damn
Old 01-12-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

I had one when I first started modding. I thought it would come in handy. After I started getting long tubes, cams, etc it was a huge waste of money. If you dont see yourself getting deep into the modding scene I say do it, but here are a few things to know if you do get it.

If you have an automatic.. Making you shift firmness 100% can damage your transmission over time.

Raising your shift points/ rev limiter can cause valve train issues

For the $100 - $300 you pay you will gain something like 10 - 15rwhp (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

If its used make sure the person you are getting it from doesnt not have it so that it only works on their car (vin number).

If you havnt already done so do a search on it. I can see it being a good buy for someone that is just doing a lid and a cat-back. However if you plan on making high horsepower car I say get a real tuner and save your money.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
I agree with most of what you say other than the fact that a Hypertech is EXTREMELY user friendly and is great for newbies. I got one when I first got my car and I was more than happy to eliminate my top speed regulator, changed my tire size which of course the hypertech fixed, and most importantly, I felt an IMMEDIATE hp gain.. I think for the price it's a great 1st buy.

for the more advanced of us, with engine mods, a dyno tune is essential and the hypertech won't do ****. So that's why most of the moderate-heavy modded car guys say the handhelds aren't worth a damn
The problem with this is that hypertechs aren't actually needed. Anyone who gets to LT headers or beyond with mods will need or want a dyno tune. Everything you mentioned can be done during the dyno tune with HP Tuners or LS1edit.

Unless you never ever plan on getting a dyno tune you're just wasting money on a hypertech or predator. Hell you can even go to autozone for free ses light scans and deletes. So you don't even need one for that.

The best thing anyone can do is get a laptop program IF they are good with tuning or just pay the professionals to do it for them.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

The problem with this is that hypertechs aren't actually needed. Anyone who gets to LT headers or beyond with mods will need or want a dyno tune. Everything you mentioned can be done during the dyno tune with HP Tuners or LS1edit.

Unless you never ever plan on getting a dyno tune you're just wasting money on a hypertech or predator. Hell you can even go to autozone for free ses light scans and deletes. So you don't even need one for that.

The best thing anyone can do is get a laptop program IF they are good with tuning or just pay the professionals to do it for them.
Exactly. I paid $250 for one, and sold it for $150... And when I was unlocking the vin number I reset the tune my tuner put in it

#42 injectors with no tune FTL!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont get me wrong i like my hypertech but like everybody else says if you start getting into more mods it doesnt do any good. I purchased mine because i had 4.10s installed and the dealership wanted like 150 bucks to reprogram for the new gears. Being that i also wanted to put in a 160 t-stat i was also handy. It was worth it for that in my mind. But as far as power goes i had my car dyno'd and the HPP3 showed a 6 RWHP gain(not much when your talkin 300 plus rwhp) this was on a mustang dyno as well so that is why it may be a lower gain than other people have experienced. If you are an A4 you can mess with shift firmness etc. But now that i am lookin into cams it is pointless but at the time the main reason i got it was to reprogram for the gears, 160 stat, and the 6rwhp (power tune ). I would say it depends of your use and what you intend to do with the car. good luck
Old 01-12-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

shhhhh im going to be selling mine sooner then later and I think its great..

On a serious note it is a waste of money if your looking for power just keep your money and get a real tune when your done with mods for a while. I have to check my shiftpoint firmness my trans does shift good so im sure it isnt messed up but you never know I just kind of screwed around with it for a while to make sure everything looked ok but dont remember the firmness. What do you suggest is a good firmness?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

How much is LS1edit and HPtuners compared to the ~$150 you'd spend on a hypertech? **** a VERY reputable tuner here in Houston charges $500 for the initial tune, which isn't worth paying if you only have a few bolt-ons and every additional tune is $100. Again, for a non-modded/mildy modded car with maybe a few bolt-ons, a hypertech IS worth it IMO

Vatozone will only clear the code, not delete it permanently so you will have to have a tuner do that for you. A dyno tune is def the way to go, I'm just saying a hypertech isn't useless for a beginner

Oh and I have a Hypertech for sale also: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...95#post8477495

Last edited by 6THZ28; 01-12-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by quadd2244
shhhhh im going to be selling mine sooner then later and I think its great..

On a serious note it is a waste of money if your looking for power just keep your money and get a real tune when your done with mods for a while. I have to check my shiftpoint firmness my trans does shift good so im sure it isnt messed up but you never know I just kind of screwed around with it for a while to make sure everything looked ok but dont remember the firmness. What do you suggest is a good firmness?
I think I used to have mine on 25%, tried 50% and it jerked pretty friggin hard and I didn't want to ruin anything so I kicked it back down to 25
Old 01-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

I have a hypertech max energy programmer if you wana buy it, if so pm me and i will be on later
Old 01-12-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I used to have mine on 25%, tried 50% and it jerked pretty friggin hard and I didn't want to ruin anything so I kicked it back down to 25
Hey thanks man im not driving my car until spring but I definetly want to check it I know I drove all lastyear with my 3000stall in it and I think it only slipped 1 time and it was kind of cold out so that might have been the reason. I definetly need to check it though since im doing LTs and a few other things I need to ditch it and get it on the dyno

Thanks man
Old 01-12-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by quadd2244
Hey thanks man im not driving my car until spring but I definetly want to check it I know I drove all lastyear with my 3000stall in it and I think it only slipped 1 time and it was kind of cold out so that might have been the reason. I definetly need to check it though since im doing LTs and a few other things I need to ditch it and get it on the dyno

Thanks man
yeah you'll def wanna get that bad boy on a dyno real soon! gl with it man!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

How much is LS1edit and HPtuners compared to the ~$150 you'd spend on a hypertech? **** a VERY reputable tuner here in Houston charges $500 for the initial tune, which isn't worth paying if you only have a few bolt-ons and every additional tune is $100. Again, for a non-modded/mildy modded car with maybe a few bolt-ons, a hypertech IS worth it IMO

Vatozone will only clear the code, not delete it permanently so you will have to have a tuner do that for you. A dyno tune is def the way to go, I'm just saying a hypertech isn't useless for a beginner

Oh and I have a Hypertech for sale also: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...95#post8477495
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think the hypertech is a waste of money, period. Anything it can do you either don't need done, can be done by HP tuners (along with 101 other things) or can get done when the car gets dyno tuned.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hypertech is outdated and useless..
Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Hypertech is great for basic stuff like fan settings and shift point changes. Not to say that it's worth anywhere near as much as they sell for new, but you can get 'em pretty cheap used.

I paid something like $100 for mine, just to change basic stuff on an otherwise stockish car. That's all they're really good for.

If you want a good handheld tuner and don't mind spending some cash, get the Predator, unless you have a '98 (no '98 model offered )
Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't call them completely worthless but definately not worth the money they charge for new ones. Only way I'd get one is if you can find a used one for cheap. Make sure the previous owner unlocks it though.