Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP loudmouth Duel/ Duel yea or nay

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP loudmouth Duel/ Duel yea or nay

ive got the loudmouth and ive been reading a whole lot of posts about the raspyness it emits but is this because those people have chopped off or gutted their cats and or is it because they have long tubes and its creating a more raspy sound. im getting FLP's pretty soon and was thinking of cutting the cats off as well. would i expect my car to sound like **** after i do that? should i replace the resonator and go with one of those bullit's? ive got no clue of what to expect so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: SLP loudmouth Duel/ Duel yea or nay

The SLP dual dual is totally seperate from the loudmouth. What are you asking?
Old 07-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Teching In

i have the slp loudmouth on my 02' z28 with stock manifold and kept my cats. i love the sound of mine. It is loud!!. The slp duel/duel is another different catback. this one is not as loud as the loudmouth i've heard both and the loudmouth to me is way louder. there is some rasp but it doesn't bother me though, and i drones at about 2000-2200 rpm's. i love setting off alrms when i drive past in parking lots and seeing people's faces when they hear me coming down the block. hope u like your new system, have fun!!!!
Old 07-06-2003, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

The SLD dual dual is a heavy exhaust but probably the best in my opinion. Its a little quieter then some of the other catbacks but it flows really well and is stainless steel. I have read posts and seen dyno sheets of guys who did back to back dynos with the dual/dual and then opening a cutout. They gained 2-3 RWHP with the cutout(exhaust exits before the muffler). If you have headers and have removed your cats or gutted the cats then the SLP DD is a good choice. It offers very minimal rasp and will have a nice deep rumble. At idle is will sound pretty damn healthy but not obnoxiously loud. When you go WOT it will really wake up. The SLP Loudmouth(aka LM) will be extremely loud and RASPY. You may get harassed by the police for loudness with headers/offroad y-pipe, and SLP LM. I currently have Grottyohann headers(now known as QTP design basically), Grottyohann 3 inch y-pipe, no cats, and SLP LM catback. I gives a new meaning to loud, but sounds like **** from 2000-3500 RPM because of the rasp. I am going to try a bullet muffler in place of the resonator. I have seen some members install a bullet in the I-pipe(intermediate), then a small bullet in each tailpipe before the tips. I have also seen a member install flowmaster single chamber muffler in each tailpipe too. Another member installed the flowmaster single chamber mufflers in the y-pipe, at the end of the header's collectors. Like I said I am trying the single bullet in the I-pipe, then swap the LM over to my 00 WS6. I am going with the SLP DD or the Hooker catback. I have heard some recordings of the Hooker w/o cats and it sounded good, but not as good as the DD. The Hooker has 2 things going for it:
its not stainless steel so its lighter and the muffler/tailpipes section after the axle can be removed at the track by simply unbolting the flange and the muffler drops down, along with the tailpipes; this will save a lot of weight. I think I will get the SLP DD and an electric cutout. That way I can have the best of both worlds.

Also, in my opinion, don't get the FLP headers. I have read several posts about them leaking, bad clamp designs, and because they tuck up well to avoid scrapping, they tend to bang the floor boards or frame rails. I would look into either: Thunder Racing headers, Kooks, QTPs, Stainless Works, or Hookers.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

14u2nv-
How hard is it to keep the LM quiet. Do you think you can be in the area of a cop and him not bother you if its under 2000rpm. Im really curious about this becasue i hear ORY's and the louder cat-backs are fairly tame untill 3000rpm.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the SLP Loud Mouth on my SS with cats,SLP long tubes and it sounds good through out the power band. If you go with ORP's then it will sound raspy and in my opinion like ***. The Loud Mouth doesnt have a resonator in it, Mine didnt it was just hollow all the way through. I can go past cops or even be right next to one without having a problem unless you gun it. To me it's not worth the extra 2 or 3 HP with ORP.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:43 AM
TECH Regular

that hollow tube in your I pipe is called a resonator.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:50 PM
Launching!

I had the Loud Mouth/with cats/stock manifolds on my car for just less than 10,000 miles. It's the best combo I've used before LT's/no cats/True duals. It was a little loud at WOT, but had a good sound at idle. I never had any unwanted attention when making some WOT blasts.

I bought the car with the SLP Dual Dual. I loved the exhaust as far as sock exhausts go. Good power, acceptable sound. I took it off to go to the Loudmouth to save a little weight, and gain a little power and sound. I don't think there was any power gain to be had, it felt the same, just a little louder.

I have my Dual Dual take off exhuast with 14k on it if you want to pick one up for a good deal. PM me if you're interested.

Old 07-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Launching!

thanks for the input ill consider keeping the lm when i getr enough money for the long tubes
Old 07-09-2003, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

"yea" on the dual/dual tips.

Mine has never been raspy. It's most likely because they gutted the cats and/or threw on a set of headers. You can get a Bullet muffler installed to reduce the rasp.