Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia Oz700 Z-grip Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking Textralia Oz700 Z-grip Review

First off I want to state that I love working with a lift. I dont know what I would have done had I had no choice to swap it out on the ground. I know I can do it but why break my ***** more then needed.

Second, with all my after market stuff such as the Dynatech headers, BMR TQ arm, Moser Rear, 3" steel DS, The trans wasn't too difficult to get out. I've done this like 3 times but this is the 1st time for this car (39,800 miles on her).

Situation

Stockish power (bolt ons, stock tune), BMR suspension on M/T ET Street Radials launching at 5.5k rpms leading to dead pedal syndrome. The Slave was bent on the bleeder screw and I couldnt get the dead fluid out.

In the near future, alot more power.....

Solution:

Decided that I needed to swap the slave, and while I was in there, do the clutch and its nearing the 40k mark. With the expectation of making 400ish rwhp in the future, might as well do it all now.

Parts List:

Textralia Oz700 Z-grip (comes with billet steel Flywheel, Pressure Plate, and clutch DisK)

GM Slave Cyl w/ throw out bearing

GM Pilot Bearing

Pennzoil Syncromesh fluid- (literally the same stuff as GM but like 1/2 the price).

Criteria

Durability- Lasting more then 5k miles is a must
Streetability- Drive like stock, normal engagement point, little or no chatter
Power Handling- Can take 400-600 hp and 5-6k clutch dumps

When deciding on a Clutch, I had 4 choices that I was considering....

1) GM LS7
2) Spec 3+
3) Ram HD
4) Textralia

1) GM LS7 was def a front runner due to price but may post of them not liking off the limiter launches and with my car, its needed. But does drive like stock, sometimes has issue with low engagement.

2) In regards to Specs, my buds has both blown through Specs (2, 3, and 3+)like they are water, they are not really a "street" clutch, they can be driven on the street but you cant slip them like stock, but they do handle power well. Again

3) Ram HD was another consideration, one of my buds switched to it, has had great luck with it but havent really put it under hard racing situation so Its still unproven to me. Has bear trap like pedal pressure.

4) Lastly with the Tex clutch, nothing but good reviews, drives like stock, can handle power and is durable in the long run. A bit pricey, about 300$ over Spec 3+ but will last.

Review:

Removed the old stuff with in 40 mins, the stock LS6 clutch had some hotspots on the flywheel and pressure plate, it was not long for life, that was for sure. I am now willing to wager, due to dead clutch fluid and racing it, it beat up the whole unit, and since I couldnt swap the fluid, it just hurt her more. It was just a matter of time before it fragged.

The install went fairly smooth, got snagged up mating the trans to bell housing, the splines on the input shaft just being a lil tight but we got it.

My clutch line was already wrapped so that saved us a few minutes. The install/alignment tool worked fine. the trans took 3 and 1/2 Quarts of the Pennzoil Syncromesh.

We bleed the clutch on the lift, using Valvoline Syn power DOT4 We did about 4 series and by the time we filled for the last time it had AWESOME pedal pressure. It felt better then I have ever felt in this car. It was NO were near a peddle like a Spec, felt strong.

The car fired right up and when I put it in reverse I felt the engagement point was nice and high and didnt chatter at all when I was backing up. When driving home, even at a stop almost no chatter and the car neve r got over 3k rpms. But I felt when I let the clutch up, the tires bit hard, The 0z700 felt VERY positive.

I have about 30 miles on it and so far I am gald I spent the money for it. I will put 200-250 miles on it before even thinking about being hard on it. I want to definitly do some heat cycles on here.

I will have more when I start to race it, Also I must remember to be mindful swapping out the clutch fluid every track day and keep it clean.

Also to mention, once the fluid got up to operating temp the Syncromesh made the trans feel REALLY smooth, mine tends to be notchy but I bearly notice if it all. Another big thumbs up.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. That makes me feel much better. I have a textralia and will be doing an auto to manual conversion in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

What is the overall pedal pressure like (compared to stock)?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
What is the overall pedal pressure like (compared to stock)?
Far better, very positive. I have a stock master cyl (2002), and new slave, all new fluid, properly bleed.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up man. I am looking at the Textralia too. Post some more results in a couple hundred miles.

Andy
Old 01-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Nice write up man. I am looking at the Textralia too. Post some more results in a couple hundred miles.

Andy
Thanks for the compliment, I never like post that have no meat to them lol.

I will be certainly posting some results, if it was going snow and have blizzard like conditions id be putting miles on it now and until It has to go in for a tune and tire.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

I drove this car the other day when he had some more miles on it, but not enough to beat on it. I got in because I wanted to feel the pedal pressure (I had a Spec 3 and now have a Spec 2). BlackScreamin let me take it for a trip around the block and all I can say it WOW.

I've NEVER thought an aftermarket clutch rated so high in holding power could feel so close to stock. My Spec 3 had leg throbbing hard pedal pressure if not used to it or driving it for a few hours. When I put my Spec 2 in, it was MUCH lighter and I thought I had found a good balance of pedal pressure and holding power. I now see that I am absolutely wrong.

This Textralia clutch had the best pedal feel I've ever felt in any car, ever. Period. It requires just SLIGHTLY more pressure to disengage and release than stock, but has the most positive feel to it I could have ever imagined. Probably moreso than that.

If the Spec 3 was an 8/10 on the pedal strength, stock is a 1/10, and the Spec 2 is a 6/10, the Textralia is maybe a 2 or 3/10. I will see how it holds up to BlackScreamin's abuse at the track, especially when he puts some bigger mods into the car, and if it holds up well and lasts, I will probably not even consider any other clutches when I find I need to replace my Spec 2 (maybe even sooner...).

And to add, I've never liked the feel of a stock clutch; it's just way too light for me after driving the Specs for so long, but this Textralia felt JUST RIGHT. Assuming it holds the power and lasts, the product MORE than justifies the price.

Quick Reply: Textralia Oz700 Z-grip Review