Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous about new motor start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nervous about new motor start up

I should be firing up my new 422 tomorrow. I'm excited but I'm also really nervous about it. Any last minutes checks I should do. I've checked everything over but I'm scared that all my time and money could be for nothing if something goes wrong. I had the motor professionally built and I did the install. Here's a quick rundown: ARE resleeved block, diamond pisons/rings, lunati crank/rods, ARE stage 3 LS6 heads, ARE oil pump, double rollmaster chain, comp pushrods, comp r lifters, yella terra rockers, ARP head studs, cometic gaskets, sheet metal intake and 36lb svo's. I'll be glad when if fires up and rumbles on it's own...then I'll have to worry about getting it tuned...but that's the fun part.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Nervous about new motor start up

good luck! glad to hear it's coming together.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:51 PM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Well, congrats on the motor! you will have alot of fun with it, the only tips I could give you would be, make sure your drain plug/oil filter is tight and primed, make certain it takes all the coolant it's supposed to just to avoid air pockets in the heater core etc.. before initial start up, pressure test the coolant system just to make sure all the hoses and block plugs are tight and enjoy!

Joe.

PS Watch the gague and make sure you have oil pressure upon initial start up, sometimes it's a little slow to register at first, if it is slow to register, just turn the motor off, then re-try but it should be fine.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with Joe and would add that you spin it over with the plugs out (and fuel pump fuse yanked) to prime the oil system.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd be nervous about firing up a 422 motor myself.