Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Swap Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:38 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Clutch Swap Problems

When I finished I could not get it to go into gear while running. It would start to go in but it was like the clutch wasnt diengaged, it would stop and if I pushed the rpms would start to drop. Also the clutch didnt pt up resistance until near the floor, but I have heard this is common with ls7 clutched until they are broken in.

I had to the install the flywheel twice, the first time it got tight a lot earlier and the fingers bent inwards(to engine). The second time it was finger loose until the dowels went into the holes by the bolts and when fully torqued the fingers still pointed to the rear. Also the first time the clutch disk wasnt aligned so mayby thats why it got tighter sooner.

I also saw the second time that near the end of the slave after the spring that there was a rubber part that had came loose. It looked liek it was suppose to slide on to the end of the slave as it was the same diameter but when I slid it on it would stay but would fall off since nothign was holding it on.

Any ideas? I am going to try bleeding it somemore tomorrow and hope for the best.

Thanks

PS I installed the clutch disc the right way
Old 01-12-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

What about the pilot bearing ?>
Try pulling the e brake holding it in gear and kinda slipping the clutch. SOmetime the pilot bearing/busing gets kinda wedged against the input shaft. If it make a loud noise then stop that means you did something wrong.
Pm me if you need help
Old 01-12-2008, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bleed it first then post the results
Old 01-12-2008, 10:30 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Originally Posted by minesfaster
What about the pilot bearing ?>
Try pulling the e brake holding it in gear and kinda slipping the clutch. SOmetime the pilot bearing/busing gets kinda wedged against the input shaft. If it make a loud noise then stop that means you did something wrong.
Pm me if you need help
So what your saying is try to start the car in gear with the parkign brake up to keept it from lurching and see what happens. Cant really slip the clutch but ill try and fully engage.

Also bleeding tommorrow will let you know.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Yes because sometimes the input shaft can be pressed against the bearing causing the transmission/clutch not to be able to engage/spin.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:50 PM
TCW
On The Tree

What would make a loud noise, are you saying if the input shaft breaks loose, then what would I have done wrong.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 02:41 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Well bled the clutch and got in to see the results. It still would'nt go into to gear. After bout 100 pumps it started building pressure and would go into gear. So I was then able to go for a test drive and all is well.

So for some of those who had the problem with the LS7 clutches that wouldnt go into gear. Try pumping ALOT and see if it helps at all. It still engaged at the very bottom and slowly moved up, so it was probly below the bottom until I pumped it many times to build up some pressure.

Hopefully this thread will help someone later on because I searched and found this problem multiple times but no solutions.

Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch Swap Problems