Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can an exhaust leak cause pinging?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:36 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can an exhaust leak cause pinging?

My truck has had a bad pinging problem. My tuner had to take a bunch of timing out when getting my dyno tune. He also said it is real sensitive to knock and was wondering if I had replaced the knock sensors. Because one run it was knocking really bad and didn't show on the Tech2 scanner. Then on the next run it showed up a little bit.

Well. My knock sensor went out a few weeks ago and I replaced it. When I replaced it, I checked the flange where my collector is at. It was leaking some air. I put silicone all around it and the leak is now fixed. The truck seems slightly stronger. I'm wondering if these things that are now fixed could have been causing my low dyno numbers and huge drop off in power at 5600rpms?

Also, could the exhaust leak have caused the part-throttle pinging I used to have? The leak was at the collecter flange about 6" before the 1st O2 sensor...My tuner pulled a considerable amount of timing out to fix the pinging.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:01 AM
14 Second Truck Club

ttt...
Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Usually if the exhaust is physically touching the frame or even engine it causes pining/knocking sometimes. exhaust leaks before o2 sensors cause bad readings most of the time also.

Most of the time pining is caused from not having good enough gas, carbon on the pistons/valves, etc...

if u had problems and they are fixed def. get back on a dyno and see how things changed, might even need to mess with the air/fuel again and timing.

But yeah the computer pulls out timing and adjust fuel in pining situations and my car picked up alot after giving it a few seafoam treatments, new plugs, oil catch can, and o2 sensors after doing headers. before when I had just a catback and lid the car was pining alot and mostly because of the oil sucking up into the intake and carbon / oil build up on the pistons/ and valves.

After getting dynoed after all my stuff I put on, no more pining / knocking anymore so the tuner even added timing as well.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Yeah, that's the plan. I did the LS6 valley cover and it didn't change a thing. Sucks a bunch of oil into the intake. I need to get a catchcan or two. Where is the cheapest place to get one? AMW is like ~$175 I think. Bunch of crooks. Used to be $80...
Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

homemade ones.

I used a air/oil separate from home depot / lowes.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice job on the oil catch can
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does that home depot catch can work good?? does it catch alot of oil?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:14 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I had one like that, it was a cobalt air/water seperator. I had it coming from the valve cover, then to the intake. It collected some oil, but this last time it had a bunch of water mixed with it and it was yellowish brown and nasty. I had to throw it away because of all the crap. Question: If you have a LS6 valley cover is that the only source of vacumm you are supposed to have? Or are you supposed to run the valve cover line to the tb as well? Or cap it off on the valve cover and tb?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can an exhaust leak cause pinging?