Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

best tires for a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best tires for a DD?

what tires would you recommend for a daily driven T/A? i haven't heard much positive feedback about nitto's, but would they at least be better than street tires? thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nittos are a good street tire depending what your looking for and your power level. I mean if you just want a good street tire anything will do, Do you want one to hook in 1st gear? Or one to get 25,000 miles out of?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much power are you making and how much do you want to spend?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

well, i'll be pushing over 400rwhp with 3.90's. i go to the track 5 or 6 times a year with some street racing hear and there. i guess i'm looking for a happy medium for street and track. thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

my good year gs d3 are amazing. Street tire I couldnt ask for more. Mix it in with a few track visits, they are ****. I really recomend these to anyone, and with your power, I dont see an issue. I know a few guys with C6's and Cobras that are running these and have good traction. here is a pic.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
my good year gs d3 are amazing. Street tire I couldnt ask for more. Mix it in with a few track visits, they are ****. I really recomend these to anyone, and with your power, I dont see an issue. I know a few guys with C6's and Cobras that are running these and have good traction. here is a pic.

hey do u guys think the gsd3 can hook just as good as the nittos dr on the street? i want a street tire that can hook just as good as a drag radial, but obviously be safer to drive during the rain and all.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i highly recommend Kumho Ecsta MX's. They don't grip as well as any DR (atleast from me experience with M/T's) but for stock or close to stock power they hooked pretty well. The fronts never let go either.

Pros- Cheaper than most in the category (275/45/17's are $135/peice on tire rack i believe), have incredible grip for a street tire, nice square looking sidewall and aggressive tread pattern, low road noise.

Cons- Won't get as many miles out of them as others. Thats why you get what you pay for. 15-20k seems to be the average for them.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:50 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
hey do u guys think the gsd3 can hook just as good as the nittos dr on the street? i want a street tire that can hook just as good as a drag radial, but obviously be safer to drive during the rain and all.
No way in hell. They have different compounds.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

nitto's are a horrible choice for a DD car...you wont get much mileage out of them and you better hope it doesnt rain...sumi's work fine, michelin pilots, bfg kdw's, just to name a couple..those are all better choices for a DD car then nitto's...however if it becomes a weekend car, id like at the nitto's
Old 01-14-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Are you looking for a summer tire or an all-season tire? If it's a DD do you drive it in the winter? If you drive the car in the winter you should get all-season tires or get two sets of tires....one for the summer and one for the winter.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
No way in hell. They have different compounds.

yeah i figured that!! but im wondering what tire out there will probably hook closest to a DR and still be safer to drive during bad weather and all?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
gs d3's definately wont hook up like a nitto, there is not way. But the d3's are going to give you very good grip compaired to other street tires that compair. I feel that it is a great all around tire. I will be getting another set of these when time comes.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
gs d3's definately wont hook up like a nitto, there is not way. But the d3's are going to give you very good grip compaired to other street tires that compair. I feel that it is a great all around tire. I will be getting another set of these when time comes.

hey Smokin, yeah i hear those goodyears are good tires but are pricey!! i guess i want the closest street tire that can hook to a radial. i really would love to go with some nittos but just hearing drag radials not being safe in the rain is kinda scary. im an auto, and i hear once you put an verter in your auto, youll be blowing street tires..lol. and only tires worth gettin are drag radials. so im up in the air? im curious bout toyo proxes, and maybe some bridgestones potenza?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staringback05
nitto's are a horrible choice for a DD car...you wont get much mileage out of them and you better hope it doesnt rain...sumi's work fine, michelin pilots, bfg kdw's, just to name a couple..those are all better choices for a DD car then nitto's...however if it becomes a weekend car, id like at the nitto's
Nitto makes other tires than just drag and autox radials.

Original poster never said what size they were looking for either.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
Are you looking for a summer tire or an all-season tire? If it's a DD do you drive it in the winter? If you drive the car in the winter you should get all-season tires or get two sets of tires....one for the summer and one for the winter.

Thanks for all the replies. My T/A never sees snow and never will. I drive it in the spring, summer, and fall.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Launching!

are the nitto 555 street tires and good?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

I would also like to know a good street tire. Summer only, if its raining i normally dont drive it. But every sunny day in summer it will be driven. If it rains while im out i cant help that so im also lookin for the best grip tire for my ws6. Price isnt really an issue as im probably not putting tons of miles on the car and they will last a couple years if there 20k + Also wondering if i should try to go a little wider in the back. looking for a tire to handle 12 seconds of power. Thanks, sorry to butt in on your thread.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=KW4life06;8487372]i highly recommend Kumho Ecsta MX's. They don't grip as well as any DR (atleast from me experience with M/T's) but for stock or close to stock power they hooked pretty well. The fronts never let go either.

Pros- Cheaper than most in the category (275/45/17's are $135/peice on tire rack i believe), have incredible grip for a street tire, nice square looking sidewall and aggressive tread pattern, low road noise.

Cons- Won't get as many miles out of them as others. Thats why you get what you pay for. 15-20k seems to be the average for them.

[IMG]QUOTE]

I had these tires adn there really good for the money. I had 26k on them and only rotated them once and when I sold them they had 3-4/32ths left. Which I thought was very sweet! Now I"m running the firestone wideovals, I think these will last little longer and I really like these tires a lot very good street tire and I think most people over look these 2 for the goodyears which cost 200-300 dollars more with very little if any in overal peformance that most would notice.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

With a convertor you're going to blow away pretty much any street tire except for maybe the D3 on a really hot day, BUT if you are going to be putting some miles on your car I'd go with either the BFG KD, or the Goodyear D3. If it's a weekend car then get DR's.

and yes their is a quite noticable difference between the tires I listed above and the Wide ovals or Kumho's.

No offense to people who bought cheaper tires, but many of them try to fool themselves into thinking they perform as well as better rubber. Not so at all.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Usually 'better rubber' equals out to a harder rubber compound. Theres no doubt in my mind D3's are great tires, but for the price you pay for those in comparison to the mx's, i feel they still hook pretty well. You can look up all tire comparisons on tirerack.com, and theres many user comments from f-body guys have left on there about both tires. I just have a hard time justifying paying so much for tires that are only 275's, but i am also on a low budget. Just my 2 cents