Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anybody in here help me with my suspension?

Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can anybody in here help me with my suspension?

I'm not getting any responses in the Suspension section and have a 1992 BMW with LS1/T56. I am wandering if there is someplace I can go to get custom suspension for my car. I am not sure if I should go with a straight axle or not, but I do know that it can't handle slicks without breaking the diff or halfshafts in the IRS. It's fine now, but I want to go faster and can't do that without traction.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Luke
Old 01-13-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

The answer depends on what you are planning to do with the car. If you are just building a drag racer, then a Ford 9" with a 4-link is a no-brainer.

If you are building something that needs to turn, I'd go find a BMW forum and pretend that you've swapped some hopped up turbo BMW motor in it when you ask for suspension help
Old 01-14-2008, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

What model BMW do you have, just saying it's a '92 is a bit vague. I agree with Rodder, what do you want to do with the car? There are lots of very strong BMW parts that can be made to work depending on what you have. We need some more info here.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Go check out Vorshlag. Those guys will be a decent resource for you, and won't be pissed off that you put a GM engine in a BMW (since they're working / building a kit to do just that to the E36 platform).

They do BMW suspension bits as their main business. However, most of their activity is biased towards turning left and right, not necessarily drag racing.

If drag is your thing, you'll certainly need to upgrade the rear (to be able to handle the power). At that point, you may be $$$ ahead if you convert to a solid axle, but I think you'd be on your own to design and build it.

Also, check out BimmerForums.... They even have a section that supports V8 swaps (as opposed to hanging them upside down by their toenails, which is what most BMW yuppies think is most appropriate, especially if the car was formerly an M).

'JustDreamin'
Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6 cylinder e36 diffs are being used by the BMW trubo drag race crowd and are good for 600+ hp. You can also do a swap to a larger diff from the larger BMW cars but there is no solid evidence that they are any stronger. There are lots of options for rebuilt diffs and stronger articles, although the M3 ones seem to be pretty stout for just about everyone. I would search www.bimmerforums.com in the forced induction forum.

Of course if you want to swap to a solid axle, that is another story, no one does that routinely so yo are back to basic hot rodding
Old 01-15-2008, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for your input. The car is an E36 3-series by the way. I am not biased as to getting a solid axle and a 4-link or just keeping it a IRS. I just want to get it done as cheap as possible and I know that the diff is good for a lot of power, but I also know if I had slicks on there the way that it is now, and tried a 3,000 rpm dump at the line, probably the first thing that would go is the half shafts, and then the diff. Also, I have looked into Vorshlag and was waiting on them to finish their E36 swap for about 2 years when I gave up and went to someone else who had already done it. I have thought about doing the 4-link and also about possibly putting in a Ford 8.8 inch with halfshafts out of an Explorer, but need to know someone who can do this for me. I just don't have the rescources to fabricate everything
Old 01-15-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

I would suggest a 9" Ford if you are going to all that trouble. The 8.8 will handle a decent amount of power but why not go "bulletproof" and do a real nine inch with 31 or 35 spline axles and maybe a locker or a Detroit Tru Trac.

I have hammered the hell out of my nine inch and it shows no sign of stress.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM
rao
TECH Resident

I know your car is an E36 - that will make the 6 cylinder swap that much easier.

There are e36 cars running low 10's and high 9's with that differential and the M3 half-shafts.

Mine seems to handle a decent amount of power with no problems.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

It sounds good, but I already have the 6 cylinder diff in there. Granted it is only an open diff, I can tell it is getting some play in it since I have been beating on it on and off the track for 2 1/2 years now with this engine in it. Also, I have friends that have gone through more than one rear diff like mine when they put slicks on. One of them eventually had his diff gone through and had to buy custom hardened half shafts to handle the power with slicks, but it cost him a fortune. With regular street tires, it's no problem as they just spin off the line. I did check out Vorshlag again just now through the Bimmer forums and will see how much their rear swap costs. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do right now.
Thanks again for your help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can anybody in here help me with my suspension?