Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem Installing Tranny

Old 01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem Installing Tranny

Okay

I have been having a lot of problems with my tranny. I broke a bell housing and stripped out a bolt on the new one and taken the transmision in and out at least 4 to 5 time.

So here is my problem, I installed the clutch using a clutch alignment tool doing my best to align everything with the pilot bushing and then I torqued the pressure plate progressivly in a criss cross manner. I put the bell housing on the motor and torque the bell housing bolts. Then I jack the transmission and slide it into place but I have 1/4 to 1/8 inch gap. I crank down on the tranny to bell housing bolts but I get to the point where I am afraid of breaking the bell housing again or stripping out a hole. I am cranking down on these bolt as evenly as I possibly can and I am doing this on my back with a few friends.

I have checked the alignment pins on the transmission and everything is lined up. I have tried my best to align the clutch. I have "tapped" on the back of the transmission. I wiggled around a redid the steps I told you above. I have talked to it, screamed at it, sweared at it and it just wont go in.

So has anyone else had this problem.

Tilly
Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

It is tricky to get the tranny bolted up to the bellhousing, it does take some finesse (sp?). Try to get it as straight as possible with the engine, and rotate it so the alignment pins will go in. Once the alignment pins are in, just torque down the bolts.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to kick mine from behind to get it start in the bushing then it slid right in. I'm not talking about a sissy kick. This was an angry kick lol. Plus what Krab said.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I got it into the spline and the transmission rotates when I rotate the engine. I think I am having some sor of issue with the pilot bushing. I also replaced my clutch with a LS7 clutch kit and I have the torque arm on the transmission to support the tranny. (would that affect it)
Old 01-14-2008, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

The bushing is new and that's why it's so hard to get in. As far as letting your torque arm support the tranny, I wouldn't let it rest on there for to long cause the stock T/A isn't that strong and it might warp it.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem the first time I did my tranny. The pilot bearing is holding you up, this is probably due to the great alignment tool that doesnt always work so well. When I did mine you have to make sure there is NO PLAY and that it slides in and out with no problems. I had two diffrent alignment tools and tried using my other one after many tries with the first one, tranny slid right in with no issues. Pull the tranny down and look to se if the pilot is gouged cause more than likley it will be, then you will know that is not aligned right.
good luck
Old 01-14-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would take the tourque arm off it would make things easier on you, no use in fighting everything. also put some grease on the dowel pins it will help getting the tranny apart next time.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 AM
11 Second Club

Another thing, if your using a spec clutch, the alignment tool they sent me with the clutch the end of it that immitates the input shaft was slightly smaller than the actual input shaft which I figured out after taking the tranny back down to try to figure out what the deal was. Which is why it took some force to get it in.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your tool is prfect, then take your trans to bell housing bolts and since your so close us them to draw it in.

I got snagged up this weekend with it and thats how we did it.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Definetely take the torque arm off so it won't be forcing the tranny at a different angle. This will affect being able to slide the tranny in properly, depending if you have the rear loaded or not will deflect the angle of the torque arm up or down which will have a similar affect on the input shaft angle. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

keep turning the crank manually and then try to force it in, make sure there is a little bit of grease in the bearing (Not too much), thats whats worked for me everytime!!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by balbosky01
keep turning the crank manually and then try to force it in, make sure there is a little bit of grease in the bearing (Not too much), thats whats worked for me everytime!!
Honestly we thought the same, my bearing cam pre-lubed (new GM) but we also hit it with some more on the splines of the input shaft. One thing we learned is the trans jack has to be removed and lifted by hand get it in place. I tried turning the crank with a ratchet and we got about 1/2 away and no closer. We did the bolt trick and it worked fine.

Every car is different.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

You could also be having a tough time with the slave, I usually crack the bleeder a little to allow a bit of compression. Never had to use the bolts to bring it in tight.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Good point Slade. I had to open the bleeder on my slave also.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

How did you install the pilot bearing? I've seem then install with a socket and put a ding inside of it making it a **** to get in. Are you sure the pilot is all the way in.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am pretty sure its all the way in. Well I broke down and I am having my mechanic buddy install it for 50 bucks. This is my first tranny I have EVER done. And none of my friends that have done this are not willing to help me and my other friend who are willing to help me have never done this. And I am sick and tired of pulling that thing in and out. So I am going to watch how my mechanic does it (who has a lift and better tools) do it and I'll observe how he does it, So next time I dont run into this problem.

Thanks for the help. I think what the problem is that I am having an issue getting the tranny lined up with the pilot bearing. I have the clutch disk engage with the transmission but its that last 1/4 to 1/8in which is killing me.

I have tried banging on it, and wiggling it. I also check the compression with the slave cylinder. I tried brining it in with tightening the bolts down (broke my first bell housing that way and stripped out another hole on the new bell housing). SO I figured that I would pay some one a little bit who knows what there doing because first, I am tired of working on my car (started this project in AUG'06 and I haven't driven the car since FEB'06) and I have lost my patience with it, and secondly I start school on Wednesday.

Thanks for the help, and now I know what to look for on my next attempt for tranny installation

Tilly
Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

That sucks man. You shouldn't have given up. Believe it or not it will pop right in there. Oh well I hope everything works out in the end.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well my mechanic found out what the proble was. I was sent the wrong pilot bearing. The pilot bearing hole where the shaft slid in was way too small. Got another pilot bearing from O'Riellys.

So i was doing everything right and should have checked to see if I could have slide the pilot bearing on the input shaft, before I installed the tranny. (Whoops)
Old 03-18-2008, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

im having the exact same problem. time to take it all down and pull that pilot bearing out and see. might as well go with a bushing as everyone says to do
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like you solved the problem, but to anyone else having an issue getting the tranny in, another thing to check is to see if the dowel pin holes have anything in them or are mis-shapen at all from previous tranny pulls or installs. The first time we put my trans back in, one of the holes on the bellhousing was slightly beat up and so everything would go in up to that dowel pin. Just thought I'd mention that since I didn't see it mentioned previously.

Search this Thread