Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

got my first big block yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my first big block yesterday

I know, I know, dont post without pics, but I do not have any yet, couldn't find my camera yesterday. What I got was a BBC 454, used, think it came out of an old chevelle, its a gm block, has "HI PERF" cast into the block, came with the crank and heads, but the heads look like ****. one cylinder needs to be resleeved, but other than that it is a BEAUTIFUL block. got it for $125. I will be posting pics up tonight after I get off work and find the camera.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Welcome to the club. Good luck, hope everything is useable.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the heads look like ****, I wasnt planning on using them anyway, same with the pistons. where should i look for parts?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. My 468 started out as a 454 out of a Chevelle. Its got some C port aluminum heads off a 454 Suburban or big Chevy truck and they are not even ported and the car screams for what it is.

I would look into some nice aluminum D ports or maybe even the C ports if you don't want to go to crazy, should be able to pick some up cheap.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking more along the lines of AFR 335 cnc ported. i havent fucked with big blocks, i dont even know how big the stock heads were. i want something in between total drag car and street car. it doesnt have to have great drivability, but i want to be able to take it to car shows on weekends.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't go to big on the heads if you are sticking with near 454 CUI. To big of heads will hurt you. I think you will be happier with the 315's. They are made more for the smaller CUI engine. What you are looking at is more for the max hp/compression guys like they say. It will also be easier to take advantage of those flow numbers they advertise with more CUI and not have to go as crazy with the cam. With the smaller heads you can get what you want and not have to go crazy to keep from hurting yourself. Lots of people that know more about this then I do and can shed more light or opinions on it then I can.

My car has almost no Vac (cam) but its perfectly streetable, cruise it quite a bit and its rather fast On factory heads I am moving with the aftermarket head guys and my heads are comparable to a 315ish size head.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-19-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: got my first big block yesterday