Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of smoke, but only sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lots of smoke, but only sometimes...

OK, kind of odd and just looking for opinions/comments here. First two paragraphs are background, you can skip it lol

Back in May I changed my spark plugs and noticed how #8 was really black (and slightly wet). It smelt like fuel to me. Put the new plugs in, went to the dyno and made the numbers I have listed (figured maybe I had cracked the plug or something last time I installed them).

So then I went back to dyno at the end of September, Mustang dyno, so the numbers can't be compared really. In comparison to other cars though, I was about on par. Only thing was I put on a really nice smoke show. Everyone thought it smelt like fuel, I did not get a good whiff of it though. Kind of paranoid, I did not make any more pulls. I got out on the street and made a 2nd and 3rd gear pull without the nasty cloud, weird.

So then I forgot about it for a while, until today. I saw it again and it seemed to only come on at 5000 rpm and above. Little WOT blasts right before may last one with all the smoke did not leave much behind me. I pulled the plugs to do a compression test and #8 was pretty black on the porcelain, the rest where nice and white (or close to it). Compression test showed 205-211 psi in all cylinders and they all came up the same. I switched the coil and wire from #8 to #2. I do have some oil in the manifold, but nothing more than a typical LSx. Now, since that day in September, I always look behind on a WOT pull and I have yet to see this cloud of smoke come back. Only difference today (and on the dyno day) is I did more crusing at lower rpm. I just wonder if #8 plug looking like **** and the smoke is related.

Only things left I can think of are a leak down test and swap injectors. Any other ideas? The smoke was pretty ridiculous, I am stumped what would cause it to be that bad, yet still make power (and be intermittent)?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weird. No help from me Mike.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Think I have it figure out, was sucking **** through my separator setup. It was mainly condensation.