Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual mileage increase figures from FTRA/SSRA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Actual mileage increase figures from FTRA/SSRA?

I'm looking into getting a Fast Toys Ram Air or a Super Sucker (Austin) Ram Air.

They both claim a slight mileage increase with this, Fast Toys says up to 10%, IIRC.

I'm not doing the upgrade just for the mileage, but every little bit helps with gas prices what they are.

Has anyone tested thier mpg before and after and noticed an actual difference?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the SSRA. The more mods I get the more I floor the car whenever possible. I think that hurts gas mileage more than anything. Before I did any mods my average mpg was close to 24. Now with everything in my sig it's more like 22-23. I have a long commute that's about 2/3 highway something like that. I try not to think about the price of gas. Life is short. Enjoy LS1.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the SSRA too and it worked at the track verry well that mod alone made a huge diffrence, as far as Gas goes I dont pay attion to that.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by massls1guy
I try not to think about the price of gas. Life is short. Enjoy LS1.
haha thats a good attitude, i wish i could do the same

but yeah i did notice an increase in my mpg after the ssra. i would get a bit over 200 miles per tank (all city driving) and after it i think i got around 225?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by massls1guy
I have the SSRA. The more mods I get the more I floor the car whenever possible. I think that hurts gas mileage more than anything. Before I did any mods my average mpg was close to 24. Now with everything in my sig it's more like 22-23. I have a long commute that's about 2/3 highway something like that. I try not to think about the price of gas. Life is short. Enjoy LS1.
I try not to think about gas...but my wallet is taking a beating. It's 65 miles a day to work and back, so that's about 330 miles a week.

I want to do the mod for performce anyway, but if I could squeeze an extra mpg or 2 out of it that'd be great. It's not so much the economy that bugs me, it's the having to fill up every 4 days. It'd be nice to get a tank to last the work week.

I know what you mean about mod though. One of the reason I pan on holding off on the loud exhaust...my mileage would go to **** because I'd be romping on it all the time to hear the pipes!

I'm looking forward to the track opening in the spring, but till then I'll be babying trying to save gas.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ripper415
haha thats a good attitude, i wish i could do the same

but yeah i did notice an increase in my mpg after the ssra. i would get a bit over 200 miles per tank (all city driving) and after it i think i got around 225?

Not to get into the miles per tank debate, but if you fill it at roughly the same time every week, and have consistantly been getting the 25 miles more, that's a pretty decent increase.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Install university saw a 5.7 % increase back to back on the same day with the FTRA. Most people report 5-7 % increases:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins..._12.262000.htm
Old 01-16-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Install university saw a 5.7 % increase back to back on the same day with the FTRA. Most people report 5-7 % increases:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins..._12.262000.htm
Thanks for the info! That's a great write up, I've actually read it a few times before in the course of my research on your product.

I have to say I'm impressed with what I've read. I just haven't found anyone else that has really mentioned anything about a mileage increase, at least with numbers.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 PM
FormerVendor

Most people with these types of cars are most concerned with performance However, anyone that has an FTRA can easily perform the test. Just use the block off plate (included with the kit) to disable the ram air function and go for a drive on the highway to compute your MPG. Then take off the block off plate and drive the same route with the FTRA enabled and check your MPG.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Not to get into the miles per tank debate, but if you fill it at roughly the same time every week, and have consistantly been getting the 25 miles more, that's a pretty decent increase.
well at the same time of the switch i had the tb ported, but i cant imagine that had more than 1-2% better gas mileage. so i'd say the ssra accounted for about a 10% bump for me. however, now that it's routinely 20 degrees outside in NY my mileage is back down to about 200 per tank....damn cold weather lol.