Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

A few 12 bolt and d/s questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few 12 bolt and d/s questions

I recently purchased a 12 bolt Moser from another f-body owner and I had a few questions.
First off, how much fluid should I use with an aftermarket TA cover and what weight? I read somewhere to use 4 quarts of 80w-90 but I thought 4q seemed a bit high. How do you go about adjusting the main load bolts on the caps as well?
Secondly, I also received a Denny's Nitrous Ready Driveshaft but the u-joint is different. The part in the driveshaft was actually smaller than that in the stock d/s and the caps which go in the yoke are the same size as the stock yoke. I ended up with the napa 447 conversion u joint only to find out it was too big for this d/s (perfect for stock). Any ideas and what I should be looking for? I'd just use the stock one for simplicity but I know this is supposed to be stronger and probably more well balanced. When my rear grenaded the pinion sheared off inside the yoke so the driveshaft slapped around quite a bit.
This thing has a full spool with 4.56's in it...I can't wait to get it going
Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will fill with right around 2.5 quarts. As far as the load bolts, tighten them by hand till they contact the carrier bearing caps, then torque them to 60 in lbs or 5 ft lbs. Hold in place with an allen key and tighten the jam nut.

As far as the driveshaft I have no advice to offer. I had a custom unit built from scratch when I put my Moser in, I never used any conversions joints. Sorry