Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10-bolt c-clip

Old 01-15-2008, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10-bolt c-clip

ok, so i took out my 10-bolt to swap it out with a 9" and i can't seem to find the c-clips on the 10-bolt. Trying to take the backing plates for the brake conversion. can anyone give me a hand??
Old 01-15-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

it might help to have two people, just push the axle in and spin an it should fall right out.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by styoung
it might help to have two people, just push the axle in and spin an it should fall right out.
alright so all your saying is take off the cover and take off the 2 brackets that cover up teh bearing and spin the axle by pushing it in? I have a person to help me...

its inside the carrier correct?

Chad
Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

alright so all your saying is take off the cover and take off the 2 brackets that cover up teh bearing and spin the axle by pushing it in? I have a person to help me...

Don't do that.

There is a small 8mm bolt that runs parallel to the axles. It is on 1 side of the carrier. Remove that bolt and slide out the Cclip retainer. Then you can push the axles in and the clips can come out. You might have to remove the wheel sensor(10mm bolt on the backside of the backing plates) in order to push the axles in enough.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DEE99TA
Don't do that.

There is a small 8mm bolt that runs parallel to the axles. It is on 1 side of the carrier. Remove that bolt and slide out the Cclip retainer. Then you can push the axles in and the clips can come out. You might have to remove the wheel sensor(10mm bolt on the backside of the backing plates) in order to push the axles in enough.
make sure im following, the 8mm bolt is on the carrier itself? i also don't see any 10mm bolts on the backside of the backing plates....im a bit lost here...

Chad
Old 01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

take the cover off. Once inside you can spin the gears. Look for the little bolt. Like said before it is on the carrier. Take it out. Then the thing in the center comes out(sorry i cant remember what its called). Once this is out, you can literally push in the axles towards the center. Do one side at a time. Get a flashlight if you cant see it. On the end of the axle near the top of the splines there is a clip shaped like a C. Take out this clip and you can pull out the axle. The clip is what keeps the axle from sliding out. Get it????
Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
make sure im following, the 8mm bolt is on the carrier itself? i also don't see any 10mm bolts on the backside of the backing plates....im a bit lost here...

Chad
we are stupid got it done.

Chad

Search this Thread