General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

broken exahust manifold bolt???? pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default broken exahust manifold bolt???? pics!!

hey guys i was doing exahust work on my car when i noticed that on my drivers side exahust manifold all the way towards the rear the bolt looks like its been broken off!!! i am not 100% sure but i think it could be, i know i have never messed with it, the end looks a little rusty so im sure its been like that for a while now! do u guys think that it may be loosing pressure from here??? is this something i should worry bout?? i hope it wont be a problem when i get headers soon!! thanks guys

Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think if it were leaking bad enough to cause a noticeable power loss you would hear an exhaust leak. The head of the bolt does appear to be broken off though, there should be a 10mm head on that bolt if I remember correctly. Taking the manifolds off to put on new headers shouldn't be a problem, but that bolt is gonna be a PITA to get out due to such a small space to work in. When I put mine on my friend put that same bolt back in while I was busy with something else and cross threaded the bolt, that sucked too, I had to go out and buy a tap and die set. I'm sure that this has happened to someone else on here, so maybe someone else can shed some light on getting it out of there. Best of luck and I wish I could be more help.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Banned

thanks alot 99rebelZ28 !! well i have had a few ses codes that have gotten fixed and recently i was told i had a clogged drivers side cat! so i am gutting both my cats now, but i have not noticed any noise or anything! its weird now im thinking maybe the owner b4 me had some headers or something! but then i noticed that the y pipe was never removed!!! the bolts were really stuck so its kinda weird! maybe the car has been like this since the day it rolled off the assembly line! but i hope i dont have any problems!! thanks again further help is appriciated!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

To begin with if its not leaking I wouldnt mess with it but if it is leaking your going to have to pull the manifold and hopefully enough will be sticking out to where you can get vice grips around it and get it out, and spray ALOT of wd40 on it but if it is brokin off inside the head your going to have to pull the head in order to fix it by drilling it out b/c I doubt there is enough room in there to get a drill and be able to see what your doing
Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

thanks guys! but im not sujre if its leaking how can i be sure??
Old 01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

you will hear it "ticking" from the exhaust leaking out.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will know if it is leaking. If you can't hear it then it's not leaking very bad if any at all. My guess is that it is not leaking. While installing my headers one of the guys helping me cross threaded that same bolt when putting my headers in. Just put a bunch of washers on the bolt and put it back in. No leaks here either. Good lucking getting that thing out though. That wont be very fun.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
you will hear it "ticking" from the exhaust leaking out.
yup ^^^
Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
You will know if it is leaking. If you can't hear it then it's not leaking very bad if any at all. My guess is that it is not leaking. While installing my headers one of the guys helping me cross threaded that same bolt when putting my headers in. Just put a bunch of washers on the bolt and put it back in. No leaks here either. Good lucking getting that thing out though. That wont be very fun.
Haha this seems to be a common problem, I just tapped mine out (sweating bullets while doing so) and the bolt went back in like it should have. I'm glad he realized that it wasn't going in right instead of tightening it down and screwing up the threads real bad, then I would have been extremely pissed.

Quick Reply: broken exahust manifold bolt???? pics!!