Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

I've got a dilemma... buyer's remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I've got a dilemma... buyer's remorse?

I just bought a beautiful, excellent condition 2002 Pewter Z28, just the way I wanted it.... an 01-02, with ebony interior, t-tops and the 6-speed manual. Had a bunch of service records, including the original RPO code sheet from the factory, owner's manual, etc. And the fabric cover underneath the t-tops came with it too! joking of course, but still. It was a pretty good price, had 72k and I got it for $11,500. Not a single dent on it, no rips, funny smells, stains etc. I test drove 5 other LS1 Camaros during my search, including 1 SS, and the SS did haul more *** than the others, but the one I ended up getting felt stronger than even the SS. Just needs the drill mod and it would kick ***.

Ok, don't hate me, but recently I've been thinking about 03-04 Cobras. I'm not one of those guys who says 'lol mustangs r gey', I have respect for them, just not for some of the owners. Then I realized I can't afford it. My brother then brought up the question: 'why don't you get an SS?' Hmm... that got me thinking. Maybe I can sell my car for a higher price and put it towards an SS. This is pretty much the only thing I've regretted, not getting an SS. I like Pewter a lot, but my ideal SS would be Arctic White/ebony/t-top/M6. Black and NBM are 2nd and 3rd, respectively. I never even saw one while I was searching, let alone having the chance to buy it.

Should I do it though? I'm afraid I won't find a car as nice as mine for as reasonable a price. I don't know if I can function properly without an LS1 in my life, or at least something equivalent. Example.... sometimes I get out and drive my Z28 around town just for the hell of it. It's fun! Screw gas, its worth it.

Anyone been in my position? I'm not much of a risk-taker, should I stay happy as I am or take the chance to score a few grand and end up with a sweeter ride? I left the most difficult part for last.... I'll have to sell my Z before I search for an SS. In the meantime I'll be driving an automatic 97 Civic.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please correct me if I'm wrong but for starters, you're looking for performance right? If that's the case then why not keep your Z28, buy some performance mods and call it a day? To me your Z28 sounds great and I wouldn't get rid of it seeing as it's what you wanted in the first place. Personally, I'd keep the car and just do some mods to make it out perform an SS and Cobra. Just my two cents...
Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

There is nothing wrong with a z28 instead of an ss. yeah the ss will hold a little higher resale and will cost more to start with also. I think that you should be happy with car you got, you said it was exactly what you wanted. Who is to say you may sell it and try to find an ss and not find what you want, then what then you have to settle on a car that isn't what you wanted. Most of these cars are not collecters, there just drivers. I say keep your car and mod the heck out of it instead.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get an ss hood, wing and rims for your car then........
Old 01-16-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Totaly agree the Z is 99% the same as the SS. throw a cam in it for 12's or better or a cam and heads for 11's or better. The car is allready faster than most on the road anyway.
Or just leave it because you will never be happy untill you can shoot too the moon haha.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

the difference between a z28 and an ss isnt worth selling the car for...with a few simple mods a 28 is faster than an ss...if you plan on modding the car anyhow then it doesnt matter whether you get the ss or not besides looks...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I just bought a beautiful, excellent condition 2002 Pewter Z28, just the way I wanted it.... an 01-02, with ebony interior, t-tops and the 6-speed manual. Had a bunch of service records, including the original RPO code sheet from the factory, owner's manual, etc. And the fabric cover underneath the t-tops came with it too! joking of course, but still. It was a pretty good price, had 72k and I got it for $11,500. Not a single dent on it, no rips, funny smells, stains etc. I test drove 5 other LS1 Camaros during my search, including 1 SS, and the SS did haul more *** than the others, but the one I ended up getting felt stronger than even the SS. Just needs the drill mod and it would kick ***.

Ok, don't hate me, but recently I've been thinking about 03-04 Cobras. I'm not one of those guys who says 'lol mustangs r gey', I have respect for them, just not for some of the owners. Then I realized I can't afford it. My brother then brought up the question: 'why don't you get an SS?' Hmm... that got me thinking. Maybe I can sell my car for a higher price and put it towards an SS. This is pretty much the only thing I've regretted, not getting an SS. I like Pewter a lot, but my ideal SS would be Arctic White/ebony/t-top/M6. Black and NBM are 2nd and 3rd, respectively. I never even saw one while I was searching, let alone having the chance to buy it.

Should I do it though? I'm afraid I won't find a car as nice as mine for as reasonable a price. I don't know if I can function properly without an LS1 in my life, or at least something equivalent. Example.... sometimes I get out and drive my Z28 around town just for the hell of it. It's fun! Screw gas, its worth it.

Anyone been in my position? I'm not much of a risk-taker, should I stay happy as I am or take the chance to score a few grand and end up with a sweeter ride? I left the most difficult part for last.... I'll have to sell my Z before I search for an SS. In the meantime I'll be driving an automatic 97 Civic.
Not a whole lot of difference between the 98-02 Z-28 and SS Camaros... If it were me, i'd just mod the one you already have!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLACK2001SS
Totaly agree the Z is 99% the same as the SS. throw a cam in it for 12's or better or a cam and heads for 11's or better. The car is allready faster than most on the road anyway.
Or just leave it because you will never be happy untill you can shoot too the moon haha.
lol, the mooooon, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. after i'm done with what i'm doing now i'm going with a 408 stroker and boost
Old 01-16-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eappwr
lol, the mooooon, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. after i'm done with what i'm doing now i'm going with a 408 stroker and boost
I was thinking Flux Capacitor.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 9sec93

That's what I would do.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at this way, there are alot of Chevy SSs out there ie: Monte Carlo, S-10, Cobalt, Trailblazer, HHT, Colorado, Silverado, 1500 series trucks, and freaking MALIBU. How many Chevy Z28s? One.

Camaro SS is virtually identical to Z28 minus the wheels, hood, spoiler and a few suspension upgrade.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

OMG an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1!
Seriously man, you sound like a friend of mine, who wants an SS or bust!
Just swap the hood and spoiler, if you want the look that bad! because thats what it comes down to!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9sec93

No, no , no......If you really want an SS for whatever reason then sell the Z and get one. If you are asking if the SS is faster the answer is no.

But.....do not under any circumstances turn your Z into an SS. That is and so is anybody who tells you to do that.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:36 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Right, because putting SS pieces on a Z would be wrong, like burning the American flag, re-writing the Bible, cheating in school, etc. Cars are a sacred thing, don't you know?!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Launching!

Heh, thanks for the reality check guys. Something seemed really wrong about the whole idea, its just that my brother is a very convincing person and he keeps knocking for not getting an SS, even though I'm perfectly satisfied with my car and for several good reasons. Honestly while I was searching for Camaros I didn't care for the SS much cause it was beyond what I was willing to spend. I thought about it for a while, and the best reason I wanted to sell my car was so that I could make some money off of it.... money that would probably be gone anyway if I get an SS.

I know they are nearly exactly the same when it comes to performance, I mainly like the wider tires, 10-spokes and better suspension. A lid would probably make up most of the difference power-wise. I like the SS mainly because of the looks though, but still, I can get fatter tires and an even better suspension. No use spending $2,000 on an SS hood or whatever it costs to put on my Z cause it looks bad ***, or selling my car just to get an SS that has it.... don't even know why I asked in the first place, I knew the answer all along! Thanks again guys

And no, I will NOT be getting an SS hood, spoiler, and especially not the badges. I still want that sweet SLP grill though, I'll just get the bowtie one and change the color.

Funny thing though, today I got in my car and started it, but it sputtered then died on me. After that it started up just fine and drove normally. Instantly, I thought of this thread. She must have been upset that I even thought about getting rid of her. Love my car even more than ever now.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:35 AM
TECH Addict

I think the bow tie grill would look great on your car.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

I got the SS because I like the looks and it came with the 345 hp package. I know the package doesn't make that big of a difference but I like it. Point being, you by the car because YOU like it not because someone else likes it.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like the others said, if you're looking for performance, hang onto your Z28 and let the modding begin....it has the same base powerplant as an SS! Personally, I wanted an SS for the appearance mods and it just so happened that the prior owner dumped a bit of money in mods and the car only had 22K miles on it (the best of ALL worlds for me).
Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

I got my SS b/c it was solid with higher milage (110k) and $7800.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waldershrek

No, no , no......If you really want an SS for whatever reason then sell the Z and get one. If you are asking if the SS is faster the answer is no.

But.....do not under any circumstances turn your Z into an SS. That is and so is anybody who tells you to do that.
so does that mean the guys up in canada that made my car a SS are gay or are you just saying that SS camaros are gay or are you saying that guys that have a SS camaro are haha.

I like the hood and the spoiler and if my car exploded ( which could happen) then I'd go out and get a Z and take my old hood and spoiler and put it on the Z haha.

Quick Reply: I've got a dilemma... buyer's remorse?