General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

02 formula! some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 formula! some questions

Well i traded in my a4 01 z28 a couple days ago for a NMB 02 a4 formula...im in love with this thing...ive got some questions though... its completely stock as far as i know, but when im cruising around 70mph the rpm's are around 2100...in my z28 they would be around 1800-1900 or so (it was stock)...so im thinking it might have gears? and when im driving at low speeds when its going through the gears it seems to hesitate a little before it shifts..it only has 34,000 on the clock so i wouldnt think the tranny is ******* up, if it is though ive got a warranty
Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your RPO's first, GU2 would be 2.73, GU5 would be 3.23 to see what gears you have.

As far as the shifting...in my opinion the shifting just flat out sucks from the factory, I just tuned mine and it was much much better.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

will do, my camaro shifted great thats why i was kinda worried about it..thanks though.. also this weekend i was gonna de-screen the MAF, gut the cats and throw on a cut out..will any of this throw the SES light
Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd leave the MAF alone. I took mine out when I put the lid on, and there was all kinds of crap stuck to the screen. No idea how it got past the filter, but seeing that made me drop my plan to de-screen it.

And congrats on the car!! I have NBM one too, I frickin' love it!! The color is amazing, I get a ton of comliments on it (when it's clean).

You must have 3.23's (lucky bastid!). I have 2.73's, and at 70mph I'm only around 1800rpm.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

awesome, im gonna check the rpo's still just to make sure...yeh the color is great when its clean man
Old 01-17-2008, 05:39 AM
11 Second Club

I bet you got GU5 in your rpo codes. Mine has 3.23's and that's where I am at 70 mph

3.23's are a way better gear. Well at the track at least. I get 1.65 to 1.75 60's with the mods in my sig. My buddy has a 98 formula with all the exact same mods except other then 2.73's and his 60's are in the 1.9's

He's a member here under the name JP74 and it must totally suck to be him

Grats on the new ride and good luck!

Last edited by darrensls1; 01-17-2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

I have a 00 WS6 and at 70 mph I am running around 2100 rpms. I think all WS6s and SSs came standard with 3.23s.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by keliente
Check your RPO's first, GU2 would be 2.73, GU5 would be 3.23 to see what gears you have.

As far as the shifting...in my opinion the shifting just flat out sucks from the factory, I just tuned mine and it was much much better.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Well i was going thru the glove box today and pulled out the owners manual, and i found the original window sticker folded up inside, thought that was kinda cool, and it said its got 3.23's...this thing just keeps getting better everyday, lol... The camaro wasnt near as nice...

The best part of all is i actually fucked the dealership, i bought the camaro last year from a buddy of mine, it had been wrecked pretty bad and his body shop did a good job of repairs, and it wasnt reported to the insurance so it had a clean title, so he sold it to me for $9,000 with 47,000 miles...well after i had signed the papers for the formula and the deal was done they noticed it had been wrecked and put it up on a lift, turns out the frame had been welded together in a couple spots and it was twisted up pretty bad, they were pissed! lol...so i think i came out on the better end...

Got another question though, alot of people tell me its not a T/A, its a Formy...But the car has TransAm all over it...and when i went to my insurance company, the options on the computer were trans am 2dr coupe and formula 2dr coupe, not one for trans am formula...if its not a T/A then why the badges?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Previous owner might have debadged it and put the Trans Am on there. Do you have any pics of the car? It would probably be real easy to tell that way...Formula= different front and rear bumper, lower hatch....But a Formula is Different than a base Trans Am (looks wise)...Unless the previous owner converted his trans am to a Formula and left the badges on there...its a Forumla.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

No such thing as a Trans Am Formula, it's one or the other. I believe if you do a vin search it comes up with both, the vin doesn't distinguish between the two.

I also see alot of used car ads with them listed that way.

Does the car actually have T/A emblems on it? How about the high rise wing and the front bumper with the foglighs toward the center? Can you post a pic of the car so we can tell?

Seems like this comes up alot. Formula looks exactly like the base V6 car, with the exception of the wheels and "Formula" badges on the doors. Alot of people try and tart them up to look like T/A's though.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

im tryin to upload pics right now, but im on dial up lol....the badges on the door are TransAm, its got the high-rise spoiler, the section between the tailights says transam above the bird, the front bumper is the exact same one as my friends ws6...its got the formula hood and rear bumper...like i said im tryin to upload some pictures
Old 01-19-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I'd leave the MAF alone. I took mine out when I put the lid on, and there was all kinds of crap stuck to the screen. No idea how it got past the filter, but seeing that made me drop my plan to de-screen it.

And congrats on the car!! I have NBM one too, I frickin' love it!! The color is amazing, I get a ton of comliments on it (when it's clean).

You must have 3.23's (lucky bastid!). I have 2.73's, and at 70mph I'm only around 1800rpm.
My opinion, do not descreen. The minimal (if any) benefit you get isn't worth it. There's another reason it's there, it also "straightens" the airflow near those wires for accuracy of measurement.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

thx for the input on the screen, i didnt really think it would make that much of an improvement...

heres a couple pics, the side angle is to dark to see the T/A badge...but u can see the spoiler, and the bumper.. so im guessing the previous owner had the bumper, badges, trim, spoiler and tailight section swapped out, cuz the original window sticker say's formula...ive heard the formulas were a couple hundred pounds lighter than the T/A's? it kinda sucks that all the T/A stuff is on there, cuz i used to hate when people would turn there z-28s into ss clones, and this is pretty much the same thing...BTW, what kind of oil are u guys running? i changed the oil the day i got it and used castrol syntec 5w30.. anyways, onto the pics, ill get more tommorow

Old 01-19-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

when you say formula hood, does that mean the flat hood? If so, trans ams come with those too unless its a ws6. Sounds like a trans am to me if so. Bet the car is fun, I swapped 3.73s in mine from 2.73s what a difference!

edit: just saw your pics posted. Its got the ws6 wheels all around. Not stock on regular TA's.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah I just bought my car with 3.73's. Still needs some TLC though. Afterwards, I'm planning on hitting the highway to see what kind of driveability I'll get. Hope it's not too bad...
Old 01-19-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, hard to say. If it wasn't for the rear bumper and exhaust tips I'd say it was a T/A. Or at least a fully cloned T/A.

Too bad, I really like the look of the Formula front bumper and flat wing.

As far as the wheels, not sure if they're the WS6 wheels...they look a bit small. Are they 16's s or 17's?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

yes you will get codes when you gut the cats, they wont function properly. probably gonna mess your fuel mileage up because the car will run rich, unless you tune the car after words. Not really worth the effort in my opinion. Good luck with the car, And also it looks to be a formula to me not a ta
Old 01-19-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had the car been wrecked at all? What I am wondering is why everything is T/A but the rear bumper? If the previous owner changed everything to a T/A why leave the Formula bumper? Maybe it was a T/A and he put a Formula bumper on it? Im confused either way lol
Old 01-19-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by homerunhtr21
Had the car been wrecked at all? What I am wondering is why everything is T/A but the rear bumper? If the previous owner changed everything to a T/A why leave the Formula bumper? Maybe it was a T/A and he put a Formula bumper on it? Im confused either way lol
Yeah, strange. It's got Formy exhaust tips, too.