Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

To vac or not to vac!This is the question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To vac or not to vac!This is the question

Ok guys,From what I've read and researched,putting vac to the crank case makes for better ring sitting.#2 If ran to a catch can keeps the intake clean.#3 If boosted,gives positive vapor somwhere to go other then all over engine. So far the best all around vac system to me ,would be a 2 stage belt driven pump going to a jones performance 2 inlet catch can. On the 2 stage pumps theres 2 vac ports,1 exhaust port. Each of the vac ports go to each valve cover(not regulated)!!!The exhaust port (From Pump) goes over to the one inlet on the can,and the other port from said can, goes to the vac regulater, then into the back side of either valve cover.By doing this on a sealed(No Breathers)Engine,Vac is then being regulated at the engine verses at the pump like the morroso setup and cannot take into account any unfiltered vac leaks like rear seal or valvecover gaskets ,etc. Once the desired vac is reached, the regurator opens on this 2 inlet can by Jones, letting filtered air from the top of can into the engine thus redusing vac.The same pricible as sucking on a plastic pop bottle with a hole in the bottom covered with your finger .Well your finger would be the regulator and the bottom of bottle would be the back of valve cover( Example only guys)LOL!!Bare with me. Now other systems like the morroso puts there regulator from the suck side of pump right at the oil filler neck on the LS1 valve cover ,at which time when it hits its preset vac it then pulles air threw the regulators side.So in reality if set at 15inches of vac,that vac is at the pump only! not the engine! Now getting to my question!!My engine builder is building me a forged 364 for an INCON TT setup and told me I was wasting my money since my plans are for only 15 to 20 PSI and by pulling vac from the valve covers I would be pulling oil away from my valve guides promoting excessive guide wear. He said most guys that run a vac system are more or less (FULL ALL OUT RACER) builders that have loose or low tention rings or BIG cubed engines or Big boosted applications Is he right?or is he thinking of old school vac pumps that were all or nothing(NO REGULATER)??Please guys any input would be great.Just as a note, He's built a 408 for my buddy and he's ran 20 PSI on his setup with no blow issues at all ,No oil,Intakes clean and everythings tip top.Do you guys think its more or less who's building your engine that altimatly decides wheater you'll need a vac pump system or not ?And mind you,My buddies got the cash to tear down his engine every year where us I'm not as lucky LOL!!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Banned

i was thinkg of just using my exhuast as my crank case vac. put the line right after the turbo. then no can. no pump. no nothing.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like running vacuum pumps on all turbo engines,weather it be street or race you still get alot of crankcase pressure.I run the Starr vacuum pump,the regulator is built into the pump,and it pulls through the catch tank from one valve cover,if properly installed and regulated you wont starve the top end for oil
Old 01-17-2008, 06:55 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

We use a vacuum pump more to keep the charge clean. You really don't want oil in the charge for a N2O or FI engine.
Gas porting seems to help the rings more then a vac pump. The other things are nice, windage, ring seal, ect,
but a clean charge is why I will always have a pump on my engines. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
I like running vacuum pumps on all turbo engines,weather it be street or race you still get alot of crankcase pressure.I run the Starr vacuum pump,the regulator is built into the pump,and it pulls through the catch tank from one valve cover,if properly installed and regulated you wont starve the top end for oil
post a pic. and can a person keep a/c and such

Quick Reply: To vac or not to vac!This is the question