Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

is this a clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default is this a clutch problem?

when i give the car a good amount of gas in any gear other than first or second the rpms and the car starts to shudder real bad almost like wheel hop but im not accellerating hard enoug for it to be that. I also get a bit of a grindingish noise sometimes when reversing or in first. Its a spec3
Old 01-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey im getting pretty much the same thing. it feels excactly like wheel hop and i noticed on mine that it the rpm goes up kinda quick then holds then goes up smoothly. i also have a spec 3 clutch.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont like this clutch very much at all actually
Old 01-17-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order to assess the situation to the best of my ability I need a little more info. How many miles are on the clutch? What flywheel is being used? Were the hydraulics upgraded when the new clutch was installed? Was the ship installed behind the bearing?

Grinding when choosing reverse can generally be attributed to one of a few things. If the hydraulics are not passing fluid as effeciently as they should then you may be looking at an issue of reduced bearing actuation and thus limited clutch release when the pedal is depressed. Slippage on the other hand would be an issue of the bearing riding the diaphragm fingers as a result of overactuation if it was hydraulic...it is important to note that these issues are not generally found on the same car. I would first check the hydraulic fluid...is it discolored? Is it chunky in appearance (this evideces a breakdown of of material within the bearings or lines).

Let me know what you find and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

im gonna get the car up on jacks and take the tranny off to see if the clutch may be toast, the car has 60k miles, not sure how many on the clutch it was in the car when i bought it