Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB/Cali Legal LS2/LS7 Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARB/Cali Legal LS2/LS7 Swap?

I'm working on a CARB-legal LS7 swap. I just got off the phone with my local CARB referee and am rather disappointed. I'm hoping someone with CARB ref experience could offer some advice.

The CARB referee told me that:
1. I need to retain the *entire* Controller Area Network (a.k.a. GMLAN) with all attached hardware/sensors and have everything functioning as stock on the C6 Z06 -- door ajar, ABS, yaw detection, traction control, theft detection, etc.
2. I need to use the stock torque tube/transaxle-mounted T56 configuration.

Neither of these requirements seem feasible.

I've been able to line up everything else I think I need to pass visual and have a fully functional OBDII:
stock airbox
stock ETC throttle body
stock engine (and associated sensors/accessories)
stock exhaust manifold
stock cat, midpipe, and aftercat 02 sensors
stock fuel pump
stock charcoal cylinder
stock fuel pressure sensor, gas cap, and relief valve.

The only two questionable items were (i) a Speartech LS7 harness/ETC/ECM with added wires for aftercat 02, purge canister, and gas tank sensors, and (ii) an F-Body T56 (since the C6's transaxle T56 won't fit)

So, questions for my fellow Californians:
1. Is my local CARB referee being unusually strict? (I know the law is ambiguous and open to interpretation)
2. If so, would a "normal" CARB ref pass a C6 engine using an F-body T56?
3. Likewise, would a "normal" CARB ref find the Speartech LS7 ECM/harness acceptable, assuming all OBDII functions are enabled and functioning properly? (Speartech Fuel Injection Systems and click "NEW LS2/LS7" on the left column)

Thanks for your help.
--Zeroskills

EDIT: I'm crossposting on V8RX7.com
Old 01-17-2008, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zeroskills,

I just did a LS1 swap into my 89 camaro about a year ago. Im not sure if putting a C6 LS7 and LS1 engine is different. I talked to a lot ref's on the phone and they all gave me different views. I know you have to put in the EVAP and all the other stuff in there that relates to smog. Even the gas tank has to be put in there from the C6. 02 sensors need to be in C6 factory location. Same as for the Cats. Basically make the car SMOG worthy and you should pass. I never heard about using the Traction control or ABS or any of that stuff. Hope this helps. Also you have yo use the OBDII port from the C6. Were are you located? Hope this helps.

Joey J.

Quick Reply: CARB/Cali Legal LS2/LS7 Swap?