Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

2 SBC builds, need opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 SBC builds, need opinions!

Hey guys,

I'm going to be building two small blocks.

One will be a 383 with a supercharger, if my block isn't a 4 bolt main, I haven't checked yet, i'm going to have the machine shop install them. Anyone who has built a 383 can you chime in and give me some info on forged 383 parts? The motor will either be going into a K5 blazer, or a Nova. Need to know what parts I need to get to handle boost, what compression ration I should run? any info would be great. I know that I want it bored 30. over, I herd any bigger and i'll have problems with it overheating.

The second will be a 5.0 305, its being built for an s10, I know what some of you will say already, 305's suck, blah blah. I always liked them, and have no problem building one, as this motor will just be for fun, and experiment. The motor will either be single or twin turbo depending on what you guys think would be better. What size turbo would you run? what bore do you think would be perfect? compression ratio? what cam should I run? I plan on running vortec heads with some port work. what parts would you run?

Thanks for any help and info!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

1) What is your budget for the forged rotating assembly? How much boost do you plan on running? As for the overrheating issue, I haven't had any problem's with them bored .060" over. Just make sure that you have a more efficent radiator and a higher flowing water pump. Never reuse something just b/c is never overheated with your old motor.

2) How much boost are you planning on running? What type of cam do you want to use, flat tappet or roller?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

id stay around 8.5:1 for the charged motor and run a forged bottom end from eagle. Im thinking there around $1600 balanced and ready to install through summit.