General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Suggestions on selling your highly modified *baby*

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suggestions on selling your highly modified *baby*

I had a question specifically aimed toward the guys who have put a lot of money into their F-bodies and have sold them. I'm at a cross road in my life where I find myself toying with the idea of selling my baby to get out of debt. Please don't freak out on me, ha-ha. Just to let you know, there will be a Cortez Silver 1969 Camaro RS/SS in my future no matter what happens. I'm not giving up on F-bodies by any means.

Here is the problem...I bought my 02 SS in 2003 with 9k miles on it. I bought the car for about $22,500.00. I made the mistake last night of adding up all of my receipts from the go fast goodies that I've bought over the years. That's never advisable...TRUST ME, LOL. I've spent over $20,000 on aftermarket parts alone and that doesn't count the cost of labor (done myself or with friends) With the price of the car added in, I'm close to having $45,000.00 in my car.

My question is this:

To the guys who have spent similar money on your car, what would you do if you sold it or what DID you do when you sold yours? Would you hold out and hope that right person came along and offered you what you were expecting out of the whole car or would you just part everything out and put it back to stock for an easy sell?

As you can see from my sig, I would have a lot to do to put it back to stock but I'm thinking it's really hard to find a niche buyer who actually will spend SOME of the money needed to buy a nice pre-done guaranteed 9 second 1/4 mile (unless you suck at driving) street/show car.

Suggestions? Comments? Concerns?

Thanks for the input guys.

D
Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You'd have a helluva lot of work to do to return that to stock... engine, axle, etc...

You're gonna lose your *** selling anything used, that's the nature of the beast. BUT, if you are able to wait long enough, the right buyer is out there.

I wouldn't feel right about selling the car with an engine like that, and no suspension to handle the power, for example.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I wouldn't feel right about selling the car with an engine like that, and no suspension to handle the power, for example.
What do you mean?

I have fully adjustable/tubular suspension from Spohn. Are you talking about if I parted it halfway out? I'm talking about taking it TOTALLY back to stock if I did do it that way.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm by far no expert on selling f-bodies, but from what i've seen on ls1tech mods are worth 50% of current market value (thats being generous). Installation is worth 25% -0% of original value. I think it would take a lot of work (to much work) to strip the car and make it stock again. I would try and sell it as is on this site or any other LSX/f-body/GM performance site. Some one will buy it!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a member coming to get my car in a few days. I Paid 20k for the car 3 years ago with 23k miles on it. It now has 60k miles and I have put over 12k with performance, appearance, and interior/stereo mods. I sold the car for 15k, I didnt get anywhere close to what I have in it. I also wanted it to sell quick, and didnt feel like waiting for someone who was willing to pay....
Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02BlackBullet
What do you mean?

I have fully adjustable/tubular suspension from Spohn. Are you talking about if I parted it halfway out? I'm talking about taking it TOTALLY back to stock if I did do it that way.
Yeah, if you parted some things and not the more involved stuff-

Like Kozak, I don't think the return on your time would be worth it to bring it back to stock, but I could be wrong.

Maybe I'm biased, that i just picked up a car with quite a bit of work done to it, and I really like it that way.. But I've also been on the other end.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you sold the car,what would you ask for it. It would have to be less than what you could build it for,if not they would just buy new parts and do it themselve's? Depending on what part or parts you have the resale value is about 50/65% of new parts.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

best advice is don't sell it. if you do you will regret it. i've done this before although i didn't have nearly the amount of money involved. sold my 11 sec cam only Z to buy a 05 GTO. spent a lot of money on GTO suspension and nitrous only to get tired of the cars issues, lost my *** when i traded it on my WS6. WS6 is stock so i get to buy everything i had on my Z again.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I was in your position and put that much money into the car I would keep it. It may be harder but there are other ways to get out of debt.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny this topic comes up. In 6 months to a year I'm going to be buying my all time deam car. A Prosche 911 Convertible. Currently I have my 94 Z28 which looks NOTHING like a 94 Z28 should. It's a near dead ringer for a 2001-2001 SS car, LS1 and all. With the early LT1 cars being worth nearly nothing I'm courious what I will be able to get out of it. I'd like to get 8k or more but I know this screws anyone who dosn't have cash as a bank won't loan you 8k for a 3k car. My other option is to part it out, after 4 years building/modifying it that makes me sick to my stomach. Input appreciated.

Re'
Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know almost nothing about it, but isn't there a rich man's want ad called the dupont registry? Or one of those high dollar car auctions. I'm assuming your car is super clean and built right. If it's clean and tight, the right buyers might be interested. Even put it on ebay with a high reserve with a ton of high quality pics and description and you never know, you might not lose your shirt. Good luck on the debt thing. I'm reading a good book right now, Dave Ramsey's total money makeover, mostly about living debt free. Says despite the propoganda the banks put out, 75% of millionares are debt free. Ok I'm off on a tangent. Anyway, luckily for me I've put enough miles on my 02 Z to make it not worth a lot if I sold it
Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

with the amount you spent, and how much of a beast your setup is, there is no way i would sell it!! keep your car!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

How many miles does it have on it now? and around how much would you like to get for it? I would part it out you can usually get more, or you could always put the built motor in your 69 project or use it for a new project LSx based car.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

despite the propoganda the banks put out, 75% of millionares are debt free.
If I was a millionare a few times over I'm sure I would be debt free too. Problem is I'm a poor white guy working his *** off to support an addiction that burns fosil fuels and rolls on four wheels.

Re'
Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
If I was a millionare a few times over I'm sure I would be debt free too. Problem is I'm a poor white guy working his *** off to support an addiction that burns fosil fuels and rolls on four wheels.

Re'
Yeah I'm with you. But the author's point is that loan interest credit card interest, rent to own, all keep you poor (and me). Though my debt isn't as high as many I'm sure.

edit:

He's got a radio show too, interesting stuff...

http://streamingradioguide.com/radio-show.php?show=146
Old 01-18-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

I like to think that I've got a nice car. I built the motor to withstand a 350-400 shot. I've got everything set up for a 250 shot and it'll take it with no problems. It has a lot of blood sweat and tears in it. It won the best of show award which was given out by Hawk's 3rd Gen at the Gathering the last time I attended. I've always made it a point to make it go fast but to make it look as nice as possible while doing so. My friends have all but convinced me to keep the car and try to pay my debts off in other ways. I haven't made my final decision yet.

For the person who asked how much I have in it and how much I would want for it, In a perfect world, a 2002 Camaro SS with a 6-Speed tranny (bone stock) with about 45k miles in awesome condition would probably go for around $17,000 I guess? Give or take a bit? I've got about $20,000 in mods on the car. I paid about $22,500 for the car in 2003 and it's been babied ever since. I figured I would sell the car for around $32,000. I have about 4000 miles or less on ALL of the mods. I never drive it except to stir up trouble on nice clear Friday/Saturday nights. It's just the babied weekend car. I think it's seen rain 3 or 4 times. There's not a swirl in the paint and even the under carriage has been sprayed with undercoat and then painted a satin black to look nice. Hell I polished my ENTIRE stainless exhaust. I had my stainless cut-outs installed locally by a friend who tig welded them. They looked like jewelery bead! Why do all of that when no one can see any of it? Because I know it's there and it makes me happy to know the stuff on my car is the nicest/highest quality that I can get. I'm the one that will do stuff to the car that you can't even see but whatever it is that I'm working on still has to be perfect. I even carpeted my spare tire area for ***** sake. It's a hobby on steriods to me. Do a search for Fikse Makeover. I'm the sick one who spent hours and hours on my wheels trying to get them perfect and all of the swirls out. It's a sickness I guess. I dunno. I put about 40 hours of detailing the car the week before going to the Gathering when I won that award. I'm nuts I guess.

Last edited by 02BlackBullet; 01-18-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahah ^wow
Old 01-18-2008, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

That's called OCD my friend lol....

If you are spending that much time detailing the car, you will probably shoot yourself if you didnt have it.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gaunt
That's called OCD my friend lol....

If you are spending that much time detailing the car, you will probably shoot yourself if you didnt have it.
LoL, I guess I typed it wrong or something. I don't spend 40 hours EACH week detailing it. I would go crazy. Ha ha.

I spent ONE week getting it ready to go to the Gathering in Atlanta. I kept track of the time I spent on it and it ended up being about 40 hours of detail work before attending the show.

There's no way I could possibly spend 40 hours detailing my car each week. I'd go crazy.

Buy yes...I do have a bit of OCD.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Always a tough question. if you have the mechanical cabailities to put it back to stock then you will always get more money putting it back to stock and selling off your mod parts. I had the same thing happen to me as well. Im 25 and about a year ago I was negotiating to buy my first house. I had my z28, which i had just dumped about 6K+ in parts (cam, suspension, exhaust, tune, brakes, clutch, etc etc) into on top of the 4K+ already in the car (Wheels, SS hood, stereo, etc) but I was barely driving and it was my third car so I decided to sell it. I was lucky and found a buyer who wanted a cammed car but I had it listed for about 4 months prior to getting any interest. I would say post it up on this site if your really serious about selling it and see if you can get some of the money you have vested in the car back. If not part it out and sell it. Plus you have a 69camaro on the way, which is most car enthusiasts dream machine, so I wouldnt hesitate to sell it to get rid of some debt. I am pissed now that I sold mine because 3 months after selling it I got a new job and a big raise working for Fidelity and could have kept it but I hope to build another car in the near future. Always a good move to aleviate some debt.