Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How much more fun would you say a M6 is over an A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much more fun would you say a M6 is over an A4

First off I know I'm posting the the Manual section so I'm expecting positive responses and even more so because I know a majority of the guys on here love M6's but here my situation. I'm a trying to sell my 98 Z28 A4 and get a black or hugger orange SS. However I don't know for sure if I want a M6 or A4. I have very limited experience driving a manual (drove a 78 Ford Flatbed Truck a couple times and a Mini Coopers S only once with not too great success). However a lot of people talk about how much more fun six speeds are. I have been told by many people that if I got a M6 and was forced to learn to drive the car that I would learn and become good at it so idk. What do you guys think. Let me know about how much you like your M6's compared to A4's that you have owned/driven and how easy they were for you to learn how to drive and become good with the clutch.

Btw, I have never taken my A4 to the track and don't plan on going often in the near future although I would like to go at least once this summer just to see what its like, so the better trans for racing isn't a factor.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot!

But I'm into corner carving, so I wouldn't want anything else.

There's just something go gratifying about heel & toe downshifting into a corner, turning the car, then power down out of it, ripping through a few gears...

You're just MUCH more involved in the driving experience...
Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the feel have being able to shift whenever you want and downshift and everything is what makes it sound nice. How long did it take you to get good with a clutch or did you learn how to drive on a stick?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is a HELL of a lot more fun. Also, you are in a lot more control of the car. You pick your gear and thus choose your RPM and the right torque for the situation (i.e. passing someone on the highway). Also allows you to get better gas mileage.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Teching In

To be honest I learned on manual and never drove an auto for a long period of time or in a racing situation just little trips in my moms car or something like that. But when you get real good with stick there is just nothing like it. picture reving up, dumping the clutch, spining the tires and then power shifting and spining throuh second, then powershiftig to third and cherping and then cherping fourth too. it it just to much fun.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright it sounds like a lot more fun. How long did it take you guys to learn and get good where you felt good driving it anywhere? Any downsides? I know stopping on hills aren't the greatest, can't really talk on the cell and shift... but anything else? Or do you guys think the enjoyment cancels out everything?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Teching In

it depends, I learned when I was 15 and only got to drive once or twice a week so it felt like it took forever but if I didn't know how and had to learn now i would think it might take a week trying every day
Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95_formula
it depends, I learned when I was 15 and only got to drive once or twice a week so it felt like it took forever but if I didn't know how and had to learn now i would think it might take a week trying every day
But you think if I got a M6 that within a few days I would be fine. I'm not talking big city driving or hills or anything just town and highway driving. Really though I would have a while, but it would be my DD although I really wouldn't be driving it every day until May.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

stick is 44 times more fun than driving auto. just every aspect about it is superior.

when youre tired and sittin gin stop go traffic you will wish you had an auto, but stick is always more enjoyable than auto...unless youve just spent a hard day road racing around a track and you have to drive stick back home...that might be less fun...but still fun!

if you want to get good at it you need to just practice. keep doing it every day, try different things and pay attention to what the car is doing and when its doing it. once you have the basics down i would suggest taking some form of race driving course. it will give you a full appreciation for what youre doing behind the wheel...and you'll impress the chicks when you can drive like a champ.

all in all, stick is more fun than auto all the time...unless you have a girlfriend and a bench seat in your ride...then you'll want an auto for various reasons

hope this confuses and helps you
Old 01-17-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You didn't confuse me at all. I know what I would need is just a lot of practice. The racing course sounds a little expensive though when I could be putting money into the car instead.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

M6 Rules Funtime.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

I had never driven a manual transmission car/truck before I got my car (that I didn't stall out anyways). My car only stalled out about 4 times on me the first week I got it, then after that it only happens when I get real lazy. For me, A4 was not an option, my f-body had to be M6. Like these guys have already said, it's just a different feel you have when driving the car than it is with an auto. It sounds to me like you want an M6, so you should get one. You've already had an A4, so why not?

This is coming from a guy who drives both 4L60E and T56 equipped f-bodies on a regular basis.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to be good at driving and M6 and get one. I don't want to get a M6 and then suck at it. Thats what I'm afraid off. Also, I would have to have my dad or step dad test drive it for me or something because I'm not going to drive it. I think if I got one I would love it once I got used to it though.

Also, how are the clutches on LS1 SS's? Stiff? Easy to practice and truely learn? I imagine they don't have a first gear that sucks like on the flatbed that I drove. Also what are the things to look for with the clutch like the feel and everything? Like I said if I were to go and look at one my dad or step dad would most likely drive it, but I was just wondering for myself.

I also think I want a M6 because I have gone up through the gears in my A4 but you can't go down. It was fun, but not the true experience.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

It all depends on what you want to do. Do you like just jumping in the car and not worrying what gear you're in, just hitting the pedal and cruising, or do you want to be in more control and select which gear you're in, throw the shifter into first and dump the clutch. you say you won't see the track much so that won't come into play since the auto will serve you better on the track with more mods to the car. My 98 used to be auto and I loved it but it just lacked something so I switched to the M6 and the car really woke up. I grew up with stick so I've always known how to drive it. Some people learn it quick though and others never get the hang of it. Depends on how coordinated you are and if you can listen to the car, the engine, tranny, everything, feel how bad it vibrates or jolts, use it all to get a feel for driving a clutch as well as watching the RPM's.

The ONLY downside is city driving. But it's mostly not all bad. I can drive around with the crowded roads of jersey and everything will be fine 97% of the time, but once in a while I get tired of hitting the clutch. I drove through Chicago once at 6AM and it sucked ***. Of course I just installed my cam and the car wouldn't cruise below 30mph so I had to constantly use the clutch to coast, speed up, coast, speed up, stop, start, etc. etc.

Do I regret the swap? Not a single minute do I regret it. And I've had the M6 now for 3 years or so.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Invest in a performance driving school - it'll be some of THE best money you'll EVER spend.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

once you get the basics and the clutch feel down it should take you all of about 30 minutes, you might stall it a few times the first week but you will get used to it quick, as someone else said an auto wasnt really an option for me when spending 10k on a 350 horsepower car I wanted to drive the car not the other way around, that said when your tired and your legs are cramping after a soccer game its not to fun, but theres no feeling quite like getting a good launch and then power shifting into 2nd, the way it feels and the ways it kicks your *** into the back of the seat with every shift is just amazing , and also as much power as ls1's have its hard to stall them compared to some other manuals.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I would like to have the control of the car like that, but I know there will be times that I will just want to get in and cruise. The majority of my driving is like town and rural areas so I don't really have to drive that far, but its not like my hometown is Chicago or anything. Also, I don't live in a hilly area, but here at school if I bring the car down here next year there are a lot more hills. Idk, my torn, I want a M6 but I also want to be good at driving my car. I think I could get the hang of it if I had to.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Invest in a performance driving school - it'll be some of THE best money you'll EVER spend.
Locations, time involved and cost?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

6sp all the way.... you will not be disappointed after you learn the right way to drive it.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

o and also just something to think about the M6 is a stronger transmission, but dont push it hard till you get used to it you dont want to miss a high rpm shift and screw something up but thats not even a worry once your used to it, when it comes down to it YOUR the one whos going to be in it everyday though so get what you truely want, also before i got my car i drove a 99 TA A4 with lid headers and catback and it really didnt impress me as much as i thought a car with that much horsepower should, the M6 on the other hand was a completely different beast, ohh and sorry for the ridiculously long posts

Quick Reply: How much more fun would you say a M6 is over an A4