Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head/cam info

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head/cam info

i know nothing about valve springs heads, etc.
my buddy will sell me his ls6 heads, stock for like 300 bucks, or should i get my stock 2000 z28 ls1 heads ported? or should i get the ls6 heads ported? i dont know what are easier to port etc. also what would be the biggest cam i could run with the ls6 heads and what springs would you recommend, and how do i know if i need different length pushrods?

trying to learn before i go buying stuff
my plan is a 3800-4000 stall converter. i was told that the ms4 cam needs to be revved to high. wouldnt that be good with that big of stall?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to texas speed and look at their cams. each cam will tell you the RPM at which the peak power is made. The MS4 is a HUGE cam. I bought the MS3 personally, it's peak power is made around 6400 RPMs and isn't REAL hard on the tranny. I wouldn't want to turn the transmission much over that. I think it's rated for 400 flywheel HP. And with a stall converter that big you better get a stronger rear end! I'm already planning on breaking my 10 bolt with a head/cam/intake motor that only has a 3500 stall. but an A4 car def needs stall with a big cam. the bigger the cam the worse the low end and the higher the RPMs must go to get full potential.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

A 4K stall and an MS4 cam would be pretty damn sick... Slap in some 3:73's in and driving wont be bad at allin my opinion. I have a 4K stall, 3:73"s and the X3 cam and out of the box 205's, its pretty leathel on the street.

Get the 650. lift springs and run stock gaskets and stock CC heads and you should be fine with the clearance issues.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yeah and how kind of springs you need will be determined by what cam you get. I would call the company and talk about what springs they recommend with what cam you get. make sure you get the other supporting parts with the cam though. oil pump, valve seals...

Probably the best thing to do it take you time with deciding about all this. One thing compliments another and the car will run best with all parts (including suspension) "work" together. I would read a LOT in the internal engine section and PM people about questions you have. Everyone on here has been really nice and open with me so far...