Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Will these AZA wheels work? Bolt pattern slightly smaller.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these AZA wheels work? Bolt pattern slightly smaller.

I'm like these wheels alot and they have a very nice price, but the bolt pattern is 5x120 mm and the stock wheels are 5x120.65 mm. Would they work? Is there anything I would need to make them work? Here goes the link to drool over . I wish they came in a 17x10.5. Also what do you guys think about running 18s vs 17s? Do the 18s hurt performance alot?

http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId=21771
Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's the pattern for BMWs. They can fit, but I'd not suggest it at all.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dam i like those alot too
Old 01-20-2008, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

why do you not suggest them. I want to get the same rims but in black. I want to get the 18's they would look sick on my car. If they slow me down some I wouldn't care.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow89rs
I'm like these wheels alot and they have a very nice price, but the bolt pattern is 5x120 mm and the stock wheels are 5x120.65 mm. Would they work? Is there anything I would need to make them work? Here goes the link to drool over . I wish they came in a 17x10.5. Also what do you guys think about running 18s vs 17s? Do the 18s hurt performance alot?

http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId=21771
I have AZA Z-08's on my car and the bolt pattern is fine just get the installation and accessory kit cause it comes with Hubcentric rings which you will need. Yes 18's are heavier but look amazing you may actually get better traction cause of the extra weight. I noticed your link shows Z02's with a 40mm offset just thought I would let you know those are available in 45 offset which would fit the car better.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Sounds good so far. So you don't have any problems with vibration from the wheels maybe being slightly of center or did the hubcentric rings take care of that? If the hub ring kept the wheel centered did it bend the lug nut studs to get them centered in the wheel when you tightened them?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow89rs
Sounds good so far. So you don't have any problems with vibration from the wheels maybe being slightly of center or did the hubcentric rings take care of that? If the hub ring kept the wheel centered did it bend the lug nut studs to get them centered in the wheel when you tightened them?

Thanks
Each lug will be off by .3mm which isn't much. The Hubcentric rings are there to keep the wheels centered cause the wheels are lugcentric not hubcentric like a factory GM wheel is. Had my wheels on for 2 years with very little problems (I have broke one stud but it wasn't wheel related) And there are 1000's of people on this site running 5x120 bolt pattern wheels with no problems either. Realistically for the Price you can't go wrong with those wheels.

L8tr
Old 01-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks man thats what I wanted to hear. They look very similar to fikse wheels. I'm suprised more people don't have an intersest in them.

Last edited by slow89rs; 01-20-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The debate on the 120 x 5 vrs 120.65 x 5 will go on . . . yes they bolt up just fine, you most likely will never tell the difference . . . .

But . . . it is techincally the wrong bolt pattern, just so you know . . .

Yes many people run that bolt pattern with no issues . . .

And YES people have had problems - I.E. wheel fell off, stud(s) broke . . .

It is your car and your choice. Keep in mind your 4 wheels and tires are the ONLY thing keeping your car shiney side up.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
The debate on the 120 x 5 vrs 120.65 x 5 will go on . . . yes they bolt up just fine, you most likely will never tell the difference . . . .

It is your car and your choice. Keep in mind your 4 wheels and tires are the ONLY thing keeping your car shiney side up.
Well put.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

I have those exact wheels. They do fit and I have had no problems with them. Mine just 18x8.5 cuz i was ignorant when I bought them and didn't think to get wider wheels.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Teching In

I agree that they are technically wrong, but if it works

Thanks for the pics I was hoping someone had some they could share. They look great on your car.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

No problem and thanks. I haven't had anybody tell me they look bad. i just wish I had come here before buying them. I found this place when I was looking fo rpics of black wheels on red TA's. Too bad I didn't read much or I definately would've gotten 18x9.5's like you.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Launching!

i run a set of the aza 5 spokes18X8.5 front 9.5 rear ...and damnit, now everyones gettin em, i liked thinkin i was original but to the point at hand, i havent had a problem with the bolt pattern, and ive been running them for awhile. not to say the true 120.65 pattern wouldnt be preferred, but they will work just fine..most of the time youll know during the torquing of the lug nuts if youll have the problem...and itll be obvious...youll bust a stud right there. as for losing a tire, well, thatll happen if you forget to tighten the lug nuts regardless, so just dont forget that, and youll be fine
Old 01-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28

I like the way this was worded. Very objective...I will do the same while adding in more facts:

120.65mm vs. 120mm is 0.65mm difference or just over a half of a millimeter. Translated into a 4-bolt pattern this would mean that each lug is off (the 120.65mm) center by 0.325mm. However, in our case we are in fact dealing with a 5-bolt pattern:

The lug circle in a 4-bolt pattern is equivalent to the diameter of the circle that the lugs form. The lug circle in a 5-bolt pattern however, is not. Since you take the distance between any two opposing lugs, you are not getting a diameter, you are getting a tangent. So it's not as cut-and-dry as it is with a 4-bolt pattern (where you just divide the difference between the two circles by 2 to get the differential). In a 4-bolt pattern, the diameter increases linearly with the lug circle, since they are equivalent. In the case of the 5-bolt pattern, the tangent line that defines the lug circle actually increases at a significantly higher rate than the actual diameter of the circle that the lugs form. I'm not even going to try to work through the calc-ridden equation required to figure out the actual differential, but I can tell you that the result is less than 0.2mm.

Why is this important? The deflection of aluminum and almost all alloys made from it is well above 0.2mm at 100ft/lbs (recommended lug torque spec).

Translation: you will actually slightly modify the lug holes on the wheels before you bend even the factory studs on our cars when installing 5x120mm bolt pattern wheels.

This does however make the hubcentric (or centerbore) adapters extremely important in this case.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

^^^so you are saying its good to get this adapter? And that the lug holes on the wheels will bend first?

Also where do you get on of these adapters and how much are they?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

wHEN i HAD THE rUFF 278 ON MY 06 tdi jETTA- THEY CAME WITH THE HUBCENTRIC RINGS.

sorry bout the caps...

I am prolly gonna got with the 278's in 19's for the TA too.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting those wheels in 18x9.5 when my current tires wear down all the way.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
^^^so you are saying its good to get this adapter? And that the lug holes on the wheels will bend first?

Also where do you get on of these adapters and how much are they?
They should come with the adapters, and yes I was saying that the seating rings in the lug holes will deflect enough to negate any bending in the lugs.

Quick Reply: Will these AZA wheels work? Bolt pattern slightly smaller.