Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Compression Heads and Cam Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Compression Heads and Cam Build

I am about to start ordering some parts for my next build and ahd a few questions and wanted you guys to critique my ideas. I've got a 2002 long block in my car with pacesetter headers, dual exhaust, and a tr230 cam. My idea for the build is to get the most compression out of the stock short block that I can this is not my daily driver and I do not care to mix some race gas in with the pump gas if i have to. Here is a list of parts I have in mind I am not really sure how these will work which is why i'm posting this.

PRC stage 2.5 5.3 heads milled as much as I can mill them
Torquer or magic stick cam or a custom cam
fast 90/90 or a victor jr. and an elbow
electric h2o pump
crank pulley
hsw plate kit
maybe 1 7/8 headers

I want to make as much power in the stock bottom end as I can without buying a $2500 set of heads. I also do not care at all to flycut the pistons which I know I will have to. The car is a 6 speed right know but after the moter is done I am switching to a th-350 or a powerglide. I really want it to make 475 rwhp through the 6 speed but don't know if it is possible with these heads I am hoping the compression will make up some for the heads.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you'll find this thread a very good read :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=ms4+prc

Those heads were milled down to 59cc, and a .040" head gasket was used to achieve roughly 11.7:1 compression. Flycutting is an absolute MUST!!

I have nearly an identical combo, albeit through an A4 with a loose converter, but the combo works and makes very good power on 93 octane. You may even see near 500rwhp with a ported FAST 90
Old 01-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks man that is alot like what I am wanting to do but with more compression i am hoping someone will chime in on what intake I should use and how far I can go as far as milling the head
Old 01-20-2008, 06:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With some flycyutting you can defainately make some big power. I think your goals are easily reachable with a little attention to detail. Having all the bolt ons & a good bit of compression should make that combo work really well. Let me know when your ready, we will build you a 2.5 5.3l setup with 1.60 exhaust valves for more air flow.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Teching In

thanks. any idea on which intake would be better suited to this setup
Old 01-20-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, if you arent going to be revving past 6800 rpms, then why go with a victor? The FAST is more than adequate, and you wont have to cut up your car to use it.
And why go through so much trouble if you are going to be putting nitrous on it anyway?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Teching In

I never said how high I am going to rev it I am not sure on the cam yet but I don't have a problem revving past 6800 if i have to to make the power.

The fast may be more than adequate but i figure say I can get a fast intake,NW thottle body, anda set of fuelrails for a little over 1k and I can get a vic jr., elbow, and throttle body for around the same price or maybe cheaper and it comes with rails. So if it will perform better or the same and leave room to grow in the future why not get it. plus imo it looks better than a plastic intake to.

I have seen them installed on here and it looks like yo don't have to do anything but trim the plastic.

The nitrous is my biggest reason for wanting the vic. so I can use a killer speedtech or a nx plate.

Damn I think I just made myself decide what intake to get.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going with a single plane EFI intake on a 7000RPM 346 is kinda pointless. You're combo isn't radical enough to need that airflow. You probably would see little to no gain over the ported FAST 90, and all that gain would only be at 6000RPM and higher. You will almost certainly lose A LOT of power and torque below 5000RPM.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished my Ported Victor Jr and Intake Elbow install a couple of weeks ago, and I did have to trim the inner part of my hood as well as the plastic below the upper weather stripping. So, be prepared to remove the hood incase you have to do the same. Cuts like butter.

Originally Posted by fabb
I have seen them installed on here and it looks like yo don't have to do anything but trim the plastic.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Teching In

thanks thats what i was wondering if the single plane would hurt me more than it would help. I am willing to trade off some bottom end for some topend though. How bad do you think it would kill the bottom end? keep in mind i am probably going to go with a ms4 or a custom cam that big or bigger with a real tight lsa like a 108 or 110 also this is not daily driver it will only be driven a little on the street since i am putting a spool in it and it has no ac or power steering. I will be putting a automatic in it with a 4000-4500 stall convertor. My goal is to get the stock bottom end to run some mid 9s in the quarter
Old 01-20-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

If this is to be a track car, and you dont mind cutting into the hood, or the cowl, AND you are doing so to provide room to grow, then I can see why you would choose the single plane and elbow. I have seen this in person, and the set up looks VERY cool.

But if you are seriously wanting to push that bottom end, and are looking for something to make KILLER power, then you should really consider going the Solid Roller route. ESPECIALLY with the high compression. You could use EXTREMELY aggressive ramp rates and heavy spring pressures, and the car would be much more behaved on the street. I REALLY want to try one on my next build.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Teching In

I have put alot of thought into going solid roller i have had a couple in regular small blocks and i am a big fan of the performance and the reliabilty but I am really trying not to sink alot of money into this motor buying lifters and rockers since I dont expect it to last along time with me pushing it to get to run the number I want.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Going with a single plane EFI intake on a 7000RPM 346 is kinda pointless. You're combo isn't radical enough to need that airflow. You probably would see little to no gain over the ported FAST 90, and all that gain would only be at 6000RPM and higher. You will almost certainly lose A LOT of power and torque below 5000RPM.

Very true.

If the OP is building a race car, which you almost have to assume if a powerglide is one of the tranny choices, then a 5000 stall converter wil mask the soft bottom end.

Truth is, if you want a single plane for better nitrous distribution, then you should probably start off with forged pistons for their durability and extra valve clearance. The stockers are not going to last long at all with that kind of abuse, and when they go, you'll probably destroy the whole short block, if not the heads too.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Teching In

I know the stock pistons cant handle it but the motor is a 2002 takeout motor i got from insurance two years ago and it has about 12k miles on it so I cant justify tearing it down so i figured i might as well see how far I can push it. I've got a 6.0 block and my plan is to build a 370 with some good rods and dome pistons and some good heads and put this engine in my 4.8 silverado if theres anything left of it